DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

Sadly true (because I would love someone else to win) and after watching the webcast no one will touch BD's guard this year

well - we KNOW they'll win guard

another guard could cure cancer and solve the mid-east crisis and they still wouldn't win lol

You're right. It's all pretty much a beauty contest. Don't expect anything to change until the judges change. What were the placements last year? I expect that's pretty much where they'll be this year. And next year. And the year after that. Rather boring.

You're right. It's all pretty much a beauty contest. Don't expect anything to change until the judges change. What were the placements last year? I expect that's pretty much where they'll be this year. And next year. And the year after that. Rather boring.

Agreed. i have tons of respect for BD. from a competitive standpoint, there needs to be some spice. i would love to see the Bluecoats win their first tiltle. if BD is the best corps every year, then they deserve it but i personally would like to see more variety in the champion. there has been too much domination to keep it interesting from the competitive side.

I've been suggesting (for years now) the addition of another class. World Class should be an earned division - right now say Crown, BD, Cadets & Coats are moved into "World Class"

National Class would be the remaining top 24 and they would compete throughout the season for their own Regional & World Championships

National Class champion would be crowned Friday night, and then the top 10 National Class and all World Class would advance to the "Grand Championship" on Saturday Night where the World Class & top National Class would compete for the World Championship & Grand Champion (a National Class champion COULD win the Grand Championship - allowing them to advance to "World Class" the following season

Okay, must chime in on my opinion about last night's performances. This from a non musical mom of two amazing musicians. Heard/Watched Surf. Not as entertaining as in years past and glad they have different uni's cause last years pants showed all the jiggles! Heard/Watched Boston and know several kids in BAC (mine marched two years with BAC). This was a completely different Boston than what was initially in the theaters...Sound, louder, drill still a bit messy and I'm not a fan of hiding behind those windmills and mixing drill into the props--to me, distracting. Watched/Heard Cadets....OMG the brass is amazing, but was a bit top heavy early in the show, but seems to balance as it' progressed. I'm a french horn mama, so I love a horn; these didn't disappoint nor did the trombones (Tbone/Bari mama too) However, I was completely bored with the show and kind of sick of watching "the thinker" pose. Often times, wondering when it was going to end. Felt like a slight euphoria of a tattoo but after a while, you just want it to end. Now, the Bluecoats, that is the quickest show I've ever seen in the 10 years I've been going to DCI shows. As a Bluecoats mama, I am incrediblly happy for my son and the successes of the Coats. I love this show. SEU has a beautiful campus in the middle of nothing, so that was a pleasant surprise. Plus the stands are 'short' making face melting a likely happening (and it did!)

So, take it as my opinion knowing that there are plenty of us fans with very little dc/musical background that like what they like. I'm one of those!

Agreed. i have tons of respect for BD. from a competitive standpoint, there needs to be some spice. i would love to see the Bluecoats win their first tiltle. if BD is the best corps every year, then they deserve it but i personally would like to see more variety in the champion. there has been too much domination to keep it interesting from the competitive side.

I agree with you 1000%.

And that is why I want Bluecoats to win this year. I have no dog in their hunt. And if they were doing just another great 11 Minute DCI show, I wouldn't feel that way. But if this art form is to continue to grow, no matter how you measure it, it has to grow creatively. It should not be possible, in a healthy activity of any kind, for one entity to basically win or nearly win the title every year.

It should not be possible.

It's not Blue Devils' fault, they are doing what they do nearly to perfection. And until they are pushed off the throne, it doesn't appear as though they are going to change their direction. That's another discussion.

No matter what you think of Downside Up, it is inarguably a daring spectacle designed to redefine the very concept of what a drum corps show is. That's what Blue Devils did a decade ago. Why not let Bluecoats do it again?

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

I agree with you 1000%.

And that is why I want Bluecoats to win this year. I have no dog in their hunt. And if they were doing just another great 11 Minute DCI show, I wouldn't feel that way. But if this art form is to continue to grow, no matter how you measure it, it has to grow creatively. It should not be possible, in a healthy activity of any kind, for one entity to basically win or nearly win the title every year.

It should not be possible.

It's not Blue Devils' fault, they are doing what they do nearly to perfection. And until they are pushed off the throne, it doesn't appear as though they are going to change their direction. That's another discussion.

No matter what you think of Downside Up, it is inarguably a daring spectacle designed to redefine the very concept of what a drum corps show is. That's what Blue Devils did a decade ago. Why not let Bluecoats do it again?

Does anyone else fear the implications of the Bluecoats winning a title? I love the Bluecoats show. It's my 3rd favorite show this year (see my signature) and I find what they're doing musically with electronics to be amazing. And I hope they continue with that because it's become their identity. But, I also fear that Bluecoats winning the title would encourage that type of costuming among other corps and that concerns me. I have no ill will towards the corps or its members and staff, I simply fear the spread of WGI costuming into the rest of DCI and I think the Bluecoats took it a little too far this year.

• Like 1

Does anyone else fear the implications of the Bluecoats winning a title? I love the Bluecoats show. It's my 3rd favorite show this year (see my signature) and I find what they're doing musically with electronics to be amazing. And I hope they continue with that because it's become their identity. But, I also fear that Bluecoats winning the title would encourage that type of costuming among other corps and that concerns me. I have no ill will towards the corps or its members and staff, I simply fear the spread of WGI costuming into the rest of DCI and I think the Bluecoats took it a little too far this year.

I guess I don't fear that because I don't see "the spread of WGI costuming" as something to fear. I'm as big a fan of the old school drum corps show as anyone, but the reality is every activity had to evolve or it gets stale.

If that style of show is what kids want to march in, and it dramatically improves the number of marchers and the talent level overall, I say lets see what happens. The marching band we all grew up with is dead already, as high schools continue to devalue and unfund band. Many colleges don't even put their marching band on the road to away football games anymore, and hell, networks don't even show 30 seconds of halftime shows anymore.

DCI was nearly dead not so long ago, and Blue Devils reinvented the whole medium. Blue Devils were roundly criticized as ruining the activity with costumes and themes and "dance", and I don't see their success over the past decade as doing anything but helping the activity grow and evolve.

To me, these new shows require a lot more talent, and certainly more diversity of talent, to put on the field. I don't always like the end results, but I think it's certainly more interesting to see what corps come up with.

• Like 2

I guess I don't fear that because I don't see "the spread of WGI costuming" as something to fear. I'm as big a fan of the old school drum corps show as anyone, but the reality is every activity had to evolve or it gets stale.

If that style of show is what kids want to march in, and it dramatically improves the number of marchers and the talent level overall, I say lets see what happens. The marching band we all grew up with is dead already, as high schools continue to devalue and unfund band. Many colleges don't even put their marching band on the road to away football games anymore, and hell, networks don't even show 30 seconds of halftime shows anymore.

DCI was nearly dead not so long ago, and Blue Devils reinvented the whole medium. Blue Devils were roundly criticized as ruining the activity with costumes and themes and "dance", and I don't see their success over the past decade as doing anything but helping the activity grow and evolve.

To me, these new shows require a lot more talent, and certainly more diversity of talent, to put on the field. I don't always like the end results, but I think it's certainly more interesting to see what corps come up with.

I mean, I'm not exactly some old fart reminiscing the days of the G bugles here. Im a 20 year old college student who only discovered DCI a few years ago so I've basically only known "modern" drum corps. I see your point, but I think that the Bluecoats are pushing DCI into WGI + brass and I don't think it's necessary for two separate activities to merge into one thing

I've been suggesting (for years now) the addition of another class. World Class should be an earned division - right now say Crown, BD, Cadets & Coats are moved into "World Class"

National Class would be the remaining top 24 and they would compete throughout the season for their own Regional & World Championships

National Class champion would be crowned Friday night, and then the top 10 National Class and all World Class would advance to the "Grand Championship" on Saturday Night where the World Class & top National Class would compete for the World Championship & Grand Champion (a National Class champion COULD win the Grand Championship - allowing them to advance to "World Class" the following season

You are sort of on the right track, but another "class" is an artificially contrived meaningless category.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's motocross was in its infancy in the US and the Europeans completed dominated. When the Europeans like Roger Decoster, Joel Robert and the other factory riders were brought to the US to gin up interest they were so dominate that no American could even make the top ten!

Wanting a more "competitive" American rider the locals could root for that after the awards for placement were given out, promoters came out with a ridiculous "Top American" award which was almost an embarrassment to the "winner" of this version of the little league participation award. Americans like winners and the top Europeans were looked upon as motocross gods, and the "Top American" was looked at as a "loser" which is what the 10th place rider is.

No, I would suggest something better than is a legitimate recognition of quality; more than one Gold Medal.

Before you dismiss this out of hand, it is foreign to Americans but not foreign to some competitions in other sports. In the ISDT (International Six Days Trial, or more recently ISDE, Google it) the winner sets the standard. He is awarded a Gold Medal and declared the Overall winner, but other riders that are within 10% of the winning time are also awarded Gold. then it's 20% for Silver, 30% for Bronze. It recognizes excellence.

I expect my suggestion to go nowhere. Drum Corps sport is too rooted in keeping bad traditions (I'm looking squarely at you Trooper's drum major walking annoyingly slowly towards DM's front and center at retreat).

But winning a Gold medal based on excellence is an idea which would be a perfect fit for Drum Corps and I believe would ramp up competitive interest by fans.

It has NO chance of being considered.

Edited by wvu80