percussion judges in drill

only field caption that needs TWO people because the field judges are too busy dodging bullets and doing wind sprints :doh:

Only caption that has the entire section split in two for the entire show as well...

Only caption that has the entire section split in two for the entire show as well...

really? you better look at the brass and guard more closely. sections are split frequently (and further apart than the FE and battery)

and it's only because of the insistence that a judge stand on top of the performers that this issue arises!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to have to state this, and I'm sure that I'll catch heck from a lot of the "over the hill" gang, but...

DCA hands and talent can't honestly be compared to DCI hands and talent.

I think it's likely that "success" has been found in pulling DCA field drum judges off the field because the books aren't as difficult to play.

(Now before you jump up an down ask yourself [or ask a DCA battery MM] if post 21 year old "part time" hands are as capable as DCI "full time" hands. And be HONEST, not hopeful.)

Sure they can. You clearly haven't seen too many top DCA lines (percussion or brass). Are they going to be any DCI lines? Yes, some of them would (this year's Buccaneers battery would wipe the floor with most of Open Class and the bottom several World Class lines). Certainly not the top half, but still.

Regardless, arguing semantics about who's got harder stuff doesn't mean it can't be judged effectively. I don't buy the distance argument one little bit. I do see merit in Jeff's dome argument, though.

Edited by Kamarag

Perhaps the point is that if it can't be heard (by more than one person) during the SHOW then maybe it shouldn't be judged as part of the SHOW.

If it was just some random person, I'd agree. But that one person is a person that is paid to adjudicate that particular caption, which tells us 1) which of these fabulous drum lines has the most skill/chops/whatever else the percussion people call it, and 2) how well each of these drum lines contribute to the overall score of the corps.

Don't you want to know which percussion unit the judge deems to be the best, even (or especially) if he/she is the only one close enough to make that determination?

again -- relic of the past. besides most of the time the field judge misses most of the FE performance. that's were a lot of those comment come from.

perhaps the judge would be able to miss less if he wasn't running around getting in everyone's way!

Sure. A few judges do a bad job. But this is not the problem it used to be. Although you seem to have some math to back this up.

My money is on the guy who can keep his calm as axes are flying at him :-)

That would be Jeff Prosperie. (Most of you should know what I'm referring to)

I'm not a percussionist at all, but I seriously don't understand the arguments that the guard and brass people make on this topic, especially given how little knowledge they have about percussion.

To compare brass judging and percussion judging as apples to apples is disingenuous. It's completely different, and as many people have pointed out, the benefits seem to far outweigh the risks.

how dare you use logic.

in talking to a few tied to DCA today, as well as in my local band circuit, the consensus is those happy about it are the ones who score higher with the judge no longer up close and personal

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't think anyone would catch my reference to the old "tree trunk" DC-10's. Just goes to show that many of the opinionators commenting here are old-time, well-versed, "been there, done that" drum corps fans.

I feel so loved and nostalgic...

Other than the fear-mongering about a potential crash and the amount of lawsuit awards and increased insurance costs (blah, blah, blah), as well as the "Drummers get two judges and we only get one!", size-really-does-matter line, I still haven't heard a compelling reason to move the field percussion judge off the field.

In fact, Jeff Ream gave the best reason why they should be left ON the field: Who else picks up more dropped crap that could potentially trip up other marching members? (Best post of the discussion, IMO.)

I judged field percussion from 2003 until it was moved upstairs ( against my desires) in 2014. In 11 years, I bumped a total of 3 kids. Yeah I had a few close calls.....that can happen with first reads. In the 3 bumps, no one got hurt, every kid apologized to, and one kid came into critique to apologize because he said he forgot to warn me.

I have however picked up 20-30 mallets, a dozen scoops,.... 5/6 hats and a few shoes

and best of all, while on the field in MD 10 years ago, I saw the lightning strike, and ran to the Dm to get them to stop the show and get the kids off the field.If we had waited til they were done, we'd have been in the middle of hell on earth.

• Like 2