percussion judges in drill

Because contrary to all of our delusions, this activity is about winning not about music. While Rennick and Johnson are, in my opinion, two of the greatest writers in DCI, do you really think that they would not dumb-down the battery books if more simple writing from other corps was scoring higher and winning DCI?

Stu...you really could not be more wrong. Trust me...winning IS NOT what these corps are about. Talk to any corps board member, director, or designer who works for a top world class corps. Winning is not why they do this. It would be a disservice to the kids if that were the case.

For Stu's sanity...when you see Paul ask him if he gives a crap what the drum judges think when he writes his percussion book. Could you add that to your report;)

While Paul does have is own unique writing style, and he will stand up for his writing, I guarantee you that if the judges subjective tastes changed to the point where SCV percussion dropped down out of top contention due to his writing, he would adjust or Charles Frost would make the adjustment for him. Get the picture of what is 'really' important in DCI?

While Paul does have is own unique writing style, and he will stand up for his writing, I guarantee you that if the judges subjective tastes changed to the point where SCV percussion dropped down out of top contention due to his writing, he would adjust or Charles Frost would make the adjustment for him. Get the picture of what is 'really' important in DCI?

Stu how do you know what's really important in DCI?

Stu what is a problem here is that if you as a fan of DCI believe that the only thing that matters to these corps is winning and the scores then DCI had not done it's job. And you have been influenced way too much by all the crazy speculation you read here on DCP.

Stu...you really could not be more wrong. Trust me...winning IS NOT what these corps are about. Talk to any corps board member, director, or designer who works for a top world class corps. Winning is not why they do this. It would be a disservice to the kids if that were the case.

They may 'say' that; but actions speak way louder than the words Sorry, but if that was true there would be way more staff loyalty and stability (which it was back in the eighties). Now most staff go from corps to corps all in search of getting their respective groups they are with closer to the top. And BD is the best example of what it takes to keep staff in tact today (be the winninist corps in the history of DCI and continue that with the current staff); but BD started to fall out of the top seven you would see a staff explosion like the Cavies went through. So, they may say it is educational, for the kids, for the love, but again, actions speak volumes.

Stu how do you know what's really important in DCI?

Stu what is a problem here is that if you as a fan of DCI believe that the only thing that matters to these corps is winning and the scores then DCI had not done it's job. And you have been influenced way too much by all the crazy speculation you read here on DCP.

G7, and the aftermath, has changed the entire paradigm within this activity. DCI is not a 'we do this for the love the activity' and 'it is for the kids' any longer. And in retrospect, studying what really happened in 1972 it appears it really never was that type of activity.

They may 'say' that; but actions speak way louder than the words Sorry, but if that was true there would be way more staff loyalty and stability (which it was back in the eighties). Now most staff go from corps to corps all in search of getting their respective groups they are with closer to the top. And BD is the best example of what it takes to keep staff in tact today (be the winninist corps in the history of DCI and continue that with the current staff); but BD started to fall out of the top seven you would see a staff explosion like the Cavies went through. So, they may say it is educational, for the kids, for the love, but again, actions speak volumes.

Stu...I promise you...drum corps would not exist today if they were motivated solely by winning. I challenge you...go to your favorite corps rehearsal and find a staff member or a kid and ask them why they're doing this. Or better yet...go find a volunteer or parent or become a volunteer yourself and ask the folks you meet how important winning is. Don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. You seem to want to paint this negative picture of drum corps cause you think they are just about winning. I'm sorry you feel this way because it's just not true.

Edited by auldschool

Auldschool:

Most kids are not loyal to corps below the 7 or 12; near their age-out years they go try-out, and many make, SCV, Devils, etc,... somewhat because they like the writing style of Paul and Scott, but mainly so they can have a shot at the Sanford or the Ring. Even back in the day Tom Float left Sprint to go to BD; Delucia left Bridgemen because they would not pay and Star would. Get the drift?

Edited by Stu