percussion judges in drill

I'm not a percussion judge, obviously, but I'm just saying that if you were in Lucas Oil judging battery, wouldn't you need to be on the field? Off the field would allow members to get in front of you, blocking your vision from the drumline. Up in the box just sounds dumb anyway.

Don't use logic

"Tom" sold phones? Who knew?

:poke:

I used to. Paid better than you'd think

You're both right..... And both wrong.

Winning isn't everything, but it pays better and draws the attention of more kids. Name and track record does help recruit kids as well.

It's not everything, but it is focused on.

DCI is no different than any other intense competitive activity. Sure, those involved love what they do, and they chose to engage because of that love. But, for example, the reasons performers engage in competitive Olympic ice dancing is far, far, far different than those who perform in the Ice Follies. And DCI is way, way, way more akin to the Olympic competitive genera than to the Follies.

I do often wonder how the judge can concentrate on what he/she is listening to and watching when he/she is running or ducking to avoid being run over or being whacked in the head by a flag, rifle, saber or bell of a horn. I remember years ago when I marched having to avoid a toss or move for fear of injuring a judge that did not know what was about to happen.

I look at your post count and I think you have no idea of the swamp you're wading into.

Really glad for you that you're on a first name basis with all of these perc guys, though. That adds a lot of credibility to your opinions, for sure.

BTW, I marched when there were tics, too. Lots of us here did. So what?

Glad you're here even if we strongly disagree, "man".

Hmmmmm...I sniff sarcasm in the air. On DCP no less. Unbelieveable.

I would caution that your near-condescension is unwarranted when you recall that, likely, most of the points you're trying to make have been discussed ad-nausea here in the past.

Hahaha...yep. Nothing on DCP is ever discussed on multiple occasions in multiple forums obviously. I'm not trying to be condescending. Just trying to make a point that corps are not all about winning or scores. That's my sense of the activity. Anyone who disagrees that's fine. My opinion is no more worthy than anyone else's and I respect everyone's beliefs. Didn't this all start with whether a drum judge should be on the field...wow how the conversation has changed. Lol.

shhh. said this a number of times and they STILL didn't hear.

man those percussionists don't miss a thing :-)

Did you happen to miss the response to that?

what would a reasonable person conclude after watching a percussion judge on the field? that's all you need.

besides you know very well kids run into staff (who know the drill better) and get hurt all the time,

all i do is repeat myself in this thread. im ready to bail -- tired of typing the same things and no one apparently able to read them

Then bail because honestly this thread has become a bunch of percussionists responding to all your posts and you ignoring half of them.

I don't understand how your argument is anything more than "because I said so"

• Like 1

I do often wonder how the judge can concentrate on what he/she is listening to and watching when he/she is running or ducking to avoid being run over or being whacked in the head by a flag, rifle, saber or bell of a horn. I remember years ago when I marched having to avoid a toss or move for fear of injuring a judge that did not know what was about to happen.

Listen to the tapes. They tend to do okay. Much of the quiet at finals from the tapes of the top corps is because the judge wants to enjoy the high levels of performance and really doesn't need to say anything to help the corps improve.

• Like 1