percussion judges in drill

Ummm bear with me here. Within all forms of competition there are various levels and stages called 'winning'. There is the most obvious, but there are other levels and I can use DCI WC as an example; The first time a corps makes it to Friday is considered a 'win'; the first time the corps makes it to Saturday is a 'win'; some would say the first time to the top five is a 'win'; (but all of those are one and done wins meaning that once achieved they can no longer 'win' at those levels); then there is the top-dog gold ring 'win' the top win in which only a select few have achieved, and even fewer who have it multiple times. While the Academy, for example, is not going for the ring they are contending for that first time to Saturday 'win'; and most certainly they have the drive to eventually achieve the ring 'win'. And with the exception of a few, like Pioneer, I would stake my house on the idea that all other corps are driven by those various stages of 'winning'.

Absolutely, and I would add that most corps consider a higher score this year than last as a "win".

Other corps, however, consider scores in any form only numbers secondary in all regards to the experience provided to the MM's. While some would contend that the score, or winning by improving it, can only enhances the MM's experience, a "winning" organization is one where a lower score doesn't detract from their experience.

In the end, IMO, the activity calls itself a competition and human beings, particularly kids taught to be competitive, like to win, however it's defined by any particular organization.

Absolutely, and I would add that most corps consider a higher score this year than last as a "win".

Yep; add that to the list

Other corps, however, consider scores in any form only numbers secondary in all regards to the experience provided to the MM's. While some would contend that the score, or winning by improving it, can only enhances the MM's experience...

Pioneer, Jersey Surf, and maybe a few others in their mind-set, yep. But not any corps which has the desire to make the top 12, the top 5, and attain the ring.

... a "winning" organization is one where a lower score doesn't detract from their experience.

I agree with you; however, most all Blue Devils alumni I know who have a ring, and marched in non-ring year, differ in that opinion.

In the end, IMO, the activity calls itself a competition and human beings, particularly kids taught to be competitive, like to win, however it's defined by any particular organization.

Job interviews are competitions; one winner and many losers. Contract bidding for contractors are competitions; one winner and many losers. The reality of life was summed up very eloquently by Sean Connery when his character John Mason stated in the movie The Rock, "Losers always whine about their best; Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen!"

Nice article by Michael Boo on judging http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211086489&DB_OEM_ID=33500

I liked his explanation of the percussion ensemble judge vs the field percussion judge.

Adjudicating brass is inherently different from percussion due to staging. The front ensemble has become pretty dependent on amplification and is always placed at the front. If the percussion judge is on the outskirts of the drill (not even in the middle of the drill), he/she will not be able to properly hear the front ensemble and the way they blend with the battery. But if the percussion judge simply stays in the stands (which is what the ensemble judge does), the actual proficiency of the group will be hard to measure and the blend of the ensemble itself would get too much emphasis.

Nice article by Michael Boo on judging http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211086489&DB_OEM_ID=33500

I liked his explanation of the percussion ensemble judge vs the field percussion judge.

Adjudicating brass is inherently different from percussion due to staging. The front ensemble has become pretty dependent on amplification and is always placed at the front. If the percussion judge is on the outskirts of the drill (not even in the middle of the drill), he/she will not be able to properly hear the front ensemble and the way they blend with the battery. But if the percussion judge simply stays in the stands (which is what the ensemble judge does), the actual proficiency of the group will be hard to measure and the blend of the ensemble itself would get too much emphasis.

Written, like, today! Wow, do yo suppose he was lurking in this discussion?

One thing that this discussion proves...we drummers know it all. Just ask us...lol.

No. Percussionists do

Listen to the tapes. They tend to do okay. Much of the quiet at finals from the tapes of the top corps is because the judge wants to enjoy the high levels of performance and really doesn't need to say anything to help the corps improve.

Yup! Saying "great, nice, ####! Clean, thank you clutters the teams ability to hear how #### good they are"

Mope but we still love you.

But I do love how you dodged my wuestion about visual demands and techniques used causing far more injuries. Who's liability is that?

• Like 1