Must Stank in Mustang (Oklahoma, July 26)

Guess we will find out in less than 24 hours if Academy is ready to challenge Crossmen and Scouts. 10-14 all go head to head tomorrow night in Little Rock.

I'm soooooooooooooo excited to see how that turns out.

:)

You and me both! And i have this feeling we haven't heard the last of BAC. They have caught some flack lately. Idk but they are still very dangerous and not to be underestimated.

Well, currently the judges are indeed saying that the Academy is closer to Phantom than the troops. The recaps had them pretty close to phantom in visual score.

So far, they're doing an excellent job in a well designed and highly enjoyable show.

No argument; well designed, very entertaining, performed well. It is an exceedingly well performed forward dive from a tuck position. Every corps in the 10-15 grouping that I can think of is attempting shows with greater musical and visual complexity and sophistication.

I saw Academy in Chickasha on July 7. It goes without saying that they're better. But the extent to which they're better is amazing. I was iffy on the show being a finalist, but not after tonight.

I enjoyed Cavies tremendously more in person than on the broadcast. Love the opener and closer, but the anthem section doesn't do much for me.

I enjoy Regiment's show much more than I did from the early videos. I still have issues with the pace and movement during the drum feature, and now I think I have issues with the chosen YPG source material - need to investigate further.

My buddy brought up an interesting thought on Troopers, suggesting their talent outpaces the design. Love the closer, though.

• Like 2

No argument; well designed, very entertaining, performed well. It is an exceedingly well performed forward dive from a tuck position. Every corps in the 10-15 grouping that I can think of is attempting shows with greater musical and visual complexity and sophistication.

More complex maybe, but what does that complexity add? I feel like some of them are trying to be sophisticated when they really don't need to be. What Academy lacks in demand they more than compensate for in design and a total package.

I've been holding back because it's been nice to just enjoy their show, but the demand argument loses a lot of water when the demand doesn't add anything to who they are beating.

I think there is more demand than they are being given credit for too, especially visually. Otherwise they've struck a really good balance between achievability and difficulty. When you pair that with a show that works on all levels, it's not really a surprise they are scoring where they are.

• Like 2

My high school director told me this: "Yes, we can do hard music and hard drill all the time, but you do not get points for attempting something hard and not achieving it."

• Like 2

My high school director told me this: "Yes, we can do hard music and hard drill all the time, but you do not get points for attempting something hard and not achieving it."

Understand -- and agree -- completely. Or, perhaps, to a point. The logical conclusion of this argument is to stand still and not play a note or move a muscle for the entire show, thus achieving perfection of the simplest design possible. 100 percent achievement of 0 percent content.

This being a ludicrous idea, it follows that there must be some point where musical and visual content numbers must rise above 0. There is some point where a judge must take content into consideration. And I don't think anyone can demonstrate that Academy's content, from top to bottom, is a greater number than that of the corps in the same neighborhood.

Understand -- and agree -- completely. Or, perhaps, to a point. The logical conclusion of this argument is to stand still and not play a note or move a muscle for the entire show, thus achieving perfection of the simplest design possible. 100 percent achievement of 0 percent content.

This being a ludicrous idea, it follows that there must be some point where musical and visual content numbers must rise above 0. There is some point where a judge must take content into consideration. And I don't think anyone can demonstrate that Academy's content, from top to bottom, is a greater number than that of the corps in the same neighborhood.

Content doesn't just = hard.

• Like 1

Content doesn't just = hard.

But of course it does include some element of difficulty. Otherwise all content is equal. If difficulty were not a consideration, every drum line would play quarter notes for an entire show.

There's a reason why a reverse 2 1/2 somersault with 1 1/2 twists gets you higher score than a forward dive.

I think the most valid part of your argument is that Academy must be striking a good balance between achievability and difficulty.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman