Must Stank in Mustang (Oklahoma, July 26)

Content doesn't just = hard.

This.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are just getting bitter because Academy is shaking up the status quo. I could definitely see this being the case with Troopers fans, because they seem to be eternally robbed of that finals spot.

Maybe Academy's program lacks "demand" just because they're achieving it at a very high level, in addition to really selling the show emotionally. If they make it look effortless, it can appear to be a much less demanding show than it really is.

• Like 2

But of course it does include some element of difficulty. Otherwise all content is equal. If difficulty were not a consideration, every drum line would play quarter notes for an entire show.

I know it does, and I think Academy has found a great balance of being achievable while being challenging to the membership. They were 15th last year, I don't think they went to Klesch asking for a Crown level book. It's tailored PERFECTLY to their membership, hence why they are doing so well with it.

Also, it's not like there is this huge insurmountable gap between them and Crossmen/Madison/Boston/Troopers in terms of difficulty. I can definitely understand the argument that those shows are indeed harder, but it's not like this is an Open Class show. I was up close and personal with them in Denton, and I saw plenty of very challenging content in there when it was needed. Particularly during the Prokofiev section. They might not have a bunch of unnecessary runs or unclean-able whiplash drill moves, but there is difficulty in there. Smart, used when it works, difficulty. When I look at hard stuff I always ask:

Is it necessary?

Does it fit in the context of what came before it?

Does it add anything?

Is it smartly written difficulty or is it unnecessarily hard?

Does it feel obligatory?

It was really refreshing to hear and see a show last week that didn't have the obligatory brass run/feature thrown in, the typical front ensemble scalar type runs, the cliche "hard" drill moves in there that it feels like some corps have a checklist for the judges.

I feel like some corps are writing shows to compete and win, and go down a checklist and have to amp up difficulty sometimes.

I don't think The Academy really had that in mind. I think they picked a show theme that fit their fun, playful, and entertaining identity, told their arrangers/designers to write a smart show within their capabilities to push them some, and their goal was probably to have another really fun, well received show.

At least it feels that way. It doesn't feel like it was forced or given injections to make it harder.

They are really starting to perform it, it's well designed from the get go, and it's perfect for the ensemble. That's why they are having success. They're just doing what they do best, being The Academy.

I think their success so far is a byproduct of that, not because they wrote the show that way.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 6

This makes more sense to me than the suggestion they are out-performing their book to such a degree that they make it look easy.

And, for the record, I love their show. I've always liked their shows. I appreciate their "formula." I also really like Oregon's show. And Mandarins. Doesn't mean I think they should be outscoring Madison. Just looking at the product on the field, I'm perplexed what the judges find so worthy of such great reward. It's more that I don't get the judging than I don't appreciate what Academy is doing.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

DrumMan's response is perfect; Academy's show is a lightning-in-a-bottle marriage of entertainment and demand that seems to perfectly fit the corps' talent level, and it all seems so natural and organic. I will argue that the Troopers have more difficulty in their show that isn't clean yet, but it is also organic and fitting to the corps. Crossmen, Scouts, and Boston, in my opinion, have weaker show designs than The Academy (and Troop, although I might be in the minority on that one), even though the three aforementioned corps have some more difficult sections written in. Crossmen's show does flow well and strike a great entertainment value with the audience, as opposed to Scouts & Boston, but none of the three did a very good job this year at designing challenging moments that fit naturally into the show, or make sense with the ideas around them. And, in terms of difficulty, I don't think Crossmen is on a higher plane than Academy; the brass book in particular doesn't offer any more challenge than Academy's, nor are the challenges presented particularly natural within the context of the music...and there's not much offered in the way of musicality or extended phrase work. As for Scouts & Boston, neither corps was able to design a show this season that properly married design and appeal. Both are choppy, confusing, and esoteric without presenting any satisfying conclusion to their works. Again, I think Troop has a pretty solid design as well, one of the better in recent years; it just is nowhere near clean. All a bit of insight to Academy's current scores.

• Like 3

This makes more sense to me than the suggestion they are out-performing their book to such a degree that they make it look easy.

And, for the record, I love their show. I've always liked their shows. I appreciate their "formula." I also really like Oregon's show. And Mandarins. Doesn't mean I think they should be outscoring Madison. Just looking at the product on the field, I'm perplexed what the judges find so worthy of such great reward. It's more that I don't get the judging than I don't appreciate what Academy is doing.

It's like asking how Phantom could have won DCI in 1996 with a show that was comparatively much easier in drill demand to the corps below them (and this is NOT a knock on that show, I love it and have watched it more times than I can count). They didn't have to run around the field at 208 bpm the whole time. They created a mood that drew the audience in and mesmerized them the entire show. They maximized the effect of that program, that's why GE is such a big part of the score. The same could be said about Academy and the scores they have received this year relative to the "harder" shows they are beating.

Just an absolutely perfect night last night. Great crowd, great weather, great shows. Really enjoyed everyone, including Guardians and Pioneer. That was the best I've seen from Pioneer to my limited DCI knowledge. Musically, I loved all the shows, but design and visual wise, I was meh on Troopers, Phantom and BK.

Academy was hands down the crowd favorite and mine as well. Just a fun show that they're playing the heck out of.

Personally, I find it easier to appreciate the lower tier corps when the top-5 or so aren't present. So I definitely broadened my scope as a fan last night. Great evening of drum corps all around!

• Like 1

This.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are just getting bitter because Academy is shaking up the status quo. I could definitely see this being the case with Troopers fans, because they seem to be eternally robbed of that finals spot.

Maybe Academy's program lacks "demand" just because they're achieving it at a very high level, in addition to really selling the show emotionally. If they make it look effortless, it can appear to be a much less demanding show than it really is.

not only do I agree with you about making it look effortless, but I believe there is additional difficulty because, just as with last year's show, they use lines and patterns, not just random running and blasting. I remember last year near the closer when part of the horn line was 4 x 4 next to boxes. As they mounted the boxes from rear to front, the 2nd row right end was late and mounted with the horn player directly in front. Everyone could see that. Make a late move in this year's show and stand out like a sore thumb. The ACADEMY show is more difficult because it relies on precision....no place to fake or cover up.

Oh, and did I mention that they are as entertaining as .... er....inferno?

• Like 2

not only do I agree with you about making it look effortless, but I believe there is additional difficulty because, just as with last year's show, they use lines and patterns, not just random running and blasting. I remember last year near the closer when part of the horn line was 4 x 4 next to boxes. As they mounted the boxes from rear to front, the 2nd row right end was late and mounted with the horn player directly in front. Everyone could see that. Make a late move in this year's show and stand out like a sore thumb. The ACADEMY show is more difficult because it relies on precision....no place to fake or cover up.

Oh, and did I mention that they are as entertaining as .... er....inferno?

We're showing our age, Joe.

Yes, the need for basic things remains strong. Qualities like regular order, symmetry, and melody are EASY for an audience to interpret, evaluate, and respect. The trick is to find the proper mix of "embellishments" with the usual expectations from a large group of people moving around playing music .

In my view, of the highest scoring competitors, Santa Clara Vanguard and Carolina Crown come closest in 2016 to achieving the "sweet spot." The Academy designers belong in this same conversation

• Like 2

We're showing our age, Joe.

Yes, the need for basic things remains strong. Qualities like regular order, symmetry, and melody are EASY for an audience to interpret, evaluate, and respect. The trick is to find the proper mix of "embellishments" with the usual expectations from a large group of people moving around playing music .

In my view, of the highest scoring competitors, Santa Clara Vanguard and Carolina Crown come closest in 2016 to achieving the "sweet spot." The Academy designers belong in this same conversation

Absolutely, Fred....... your explanation also shows why Crown and SCV score higher than ACADEMY....order, symmetry, melody, PLUS a bell, and a whistle.....