Trumpet Spinning?

Here's another one:

How do member spin their trumpets? I first saw trumpet spinning before a solo in a Madison Scout show (I think the title had something to do with Angels). He spun the trumpet up and played a straight mute solo. Also, I saw a video of Carolina Crown in a parade this past year. As the trumpet players were marching (while they weren't playing, of course), they spun their trumpets around. I've always wanted to do this.

I can do a sort of a half spin. I hold the trumpet vertically with the mouthpiece facing towards the ground, and I spin it to attention. That's the best I can do.

Funny story, my mouthpiece was loose when I did this one time, and when I spun it up, it hit me in the forehead. I learned to always check my mouthpiece the hard way.

Here's another one:

How do member spin their trumpets? I first saw trumpet spinning before a solo in a Madison Scout show (I think the title had something to do with Angels). He spun the trumpet up and played a straight mute solo. Also, I saw a video of Carolina Crown in a parade this past year. As the trumpet players were marching (while they weren't playing, of course), they spun their trumpets around. I've always wanted to do this.

I can do a sort of a half spin. I hold the trumpet vertically with the mouthpiece facing towards the ground, and I spin it to attention. That's the best I can do.

Funny story, my mouthpiece was loose when I did this one time, and when I spun it up, it hit me in the forehead. I learned to always check my mouthpiece the hard way.

Ah that explains it. :-p

• Like 1

I've noticed in the webcasts the Crown members spinning their trumpets, I guess alluding to gun fighters spinning their pistols.

You stick your thumb in the ring by the valves (sorry I play the Tuba/contra so it might be the main tuning slide). You then spin the trumpet with your other hand I see a lot of people use the bell part to spin it.

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/5n8855YltJc

If you are on a desktop you can slow the video down to get a better idea.

I've noticed in the webcasts the Crown members spinning their trumpets, I guess alluding to gun fighters spinning their pistols.

Pretty much any trumpet I ever marched with wants to do this visual in the show for no reason.

You stick your thumb in the ring by the valves (sorry I play the Tuba/contra so it might be the main tuning slide). You then spin the trumpet with your other hand I see a lot of people use the bell part to spin it.

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/5n8855YltJc

If you are on a desktop you can slow the video down to get a better idea.

I'm guessing they just put their thumb in the ring and use it as an axis. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, I always used my index finger in the third valve slide ring. The weight is pretty balanced there so it is one if those things that is easier than it looks, which makes it a temptation for those of us who are coordination challenged.

And it looks pretty slick. Until your mouthpiece flies off and you hear a "ding" 10 feet away and then that night you get a call from someone's mother...

If I remember correctly, I always used my index finger in the third valve slide ring. The weight is pretty balanced there so it is one if those things that is easier than it looks, which makes it a temptation for those of us who are coordination challenged.

And it looks pretty slick. Until your mouthpiece flies off and you hear a "ding" 10 feet away and then that night you get a call from someone's mother...

I tried to do it slowly, but my 3rd valve slide doesn't stay still. Should I use a hair tie of something?

You should immediately stop attempting to spin your trumpet.

Leave that move to the tubs.

We're professionals.

Stick to playing your fancy "Melodies" and parts that are "Heard".

And maybe move a #### valve slide while you are at it.

We yearn for movable slides.

#### you all.

• Like 1