Low scoring this year?

Shows are becoming more complicated, judging standards and interpretations have changed within recent years, and Cesario stated previous to last season that their would be a tightening-up so that by Finals captions would not be maxed out or corps scoring 104.

With some scholastic grading systems giving bonus points for tougher courses and being nice to the school faculty, some are expecting the higher the numbers mean a better year.

Bosh! It's all relative. It's the spreads that count.

But, if I understand correctly, even the spreads were tightened prior to last year, so a two point spread in 2014 would be smaller in 2016. Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Two Weeks before Finals (2001-2015)...

Last year, Crown had the highest scored of 91.5. This was the lowest high score two weeks before finals.

Highest was 95.65 in 2010 by the Blue Devils.

Average is 93.86

Bluecoats score of 91.7125 this season.

One Week before Finals (2001-2015)...

Last year, Crown had the highest scored of 93.825. This was the lowest high score one week before finals.

Highest was 96.825 in 2014 by the Blue Devils.

Average is 95.67

Average increase from two weeks before to one week before is 1.80

Biggest increase from two weeks before to one week before is 3.45 in 2004 by the Blue Devils

Finals (2001-2015)...

Last year, the Blue Devils had the highest scored of 97.65. This was the 2nd lowest high score for finals.

Highest was 99.65 in 2014 by the Blue Devils.

Average is 98.54

Average increase from one week before to finals is 2.87

Biggest increase from one week before to finals is 3.825 in 2015 by the Blue Devils (BD Final - Crown Top Score from One Week Before)

The average increase from two weeks before to Finals is 4.678 points, so I expect we will still see some corps score around 97-98 at Finals this season.

I disagree. Yes they were that much better than the competition but I believe they would have scored that or pretty dang close to it even with 2nd down around 96 or 95. You have to remember that the judges run up close to that upper limit come finals. Someone scoring a 19.8 doesn't leave much room for anyone above them. Still my opinion that that was the best overall corps fielded so far.

Well, BD won guard that year with a perfect 20. The only explanation is that they were better than the second place guard (Cadets scored a 19.5) so much to receive that 20 because there were still drops that night. There is no such as perfection. Especially when they received "perfection" in GE.

In visual, BD was "perfect" too. They received this score with the apparent phasing that happened every once in a while. Which points to the second place corps, Cadets scoring a 29.25. Cadets scored a 19.7 in proficiency which was second. The Bluecoats scored a 19.7 in analysis, which also was second. That's means that BD was .3 better than both corps in both subcaptions. When there isn't much room left to score a corps, the judge uses the perfection score too fast.

When inflation occurs, this is what it boils down to. Congrats to them for putting on a great show that year.

Edited by D41145
  • Like 1

Well, BD won guard that year with a perfect 20. The only explanation is that they were better than the second place guard (Cadets scored a 19.5) so much to receive that 20 because there were still drops that night. There is no such as perfection. Especially when they received "perfection" in GE.

In visual, BD was "perfect" too. They received this score with the apparent phasing that happened every once in a while. Which points to the second place corps, Cadets scoring a 29.25. Cadets scored a 19.7 in proficiency which was second. The Bluecoats scored a 19.7 in analysis, which also was second. That's means that BD was .3 better than both corps in both subcaptions. When there isn't much room left to score a corps, the judge uses the perfection score too fast.

When inflation occurs, this is what it boils down to. Congrats to them for putting on a great show that year.

BD's 20's are maximum scores not perfect. Crown fans taught me that :)

And as far as BD's guard having drops, I always thought it isn't about the drops, its how the member recovers from the drop.

• Like 2

And as far as BD's guard having drops, I always thought it isn't about the drops, its how the member recovers from the drop.

The sheet has 20 at the maximum. Initially saying that "20" is the perfect score.

What if corps A has a guard that drops all the time and dos not good flag unison during a big hit? Are you saying we should award a guard that drops?

Edited by D41145

you can credit recovery skills.

but drops still matter, some more than others. a lot of it has to do with when/where the drop happens.

last person in a long sequential series has a drop -- that can kill an effect.

flag in a flag block moment drops and takes 64 counts to get back in -- BAD!

otoh some random person in a saber line drops and gets back in well -- not such a big deal.

of course NOT dropping is a really good thing :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

you can credit recovery skills.

but drops still matter, some more than others. a lot of it has to do with when/where the drop happens.

last person in a long sequential series has a drop -- that can kill an effect.

flag in a flag block moment drops and takes 64 counts to get back in -- BAD!

otoh some random person in a saber line drops and gets back in well -- not such a big deal.

of course NOT dropping is a really good thing :-)

All of that makes sense and i appreciate you educating me.

• Like 1