The Bloo Effect: UNIFORMS

Bloo Effect  

144 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bluecoats win the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  2. 2. If the Bluecoats win 2nd or 3rd at the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  3. 3. Predict the DCI season where WGI uniforms for the corps proper will be what the majority of corps use.

• 2021+

they fit the show design

vanderkolff was unambiguous with the specifics

i asked reasonable drum corps fans to speculate when other corps might do something similar with uniforms to accommodate their show designs

i made no assertions

take care

A majority already do that... we are there. Started with Star of Indiana (Crown has been most aggressive with it since). But the uniforms that have been selected for specific productions still resemble traditional uniforms (the Bluecoats are an outlier... for obvious reasons).

Right?

But this thread isn't so general... it is titled "The Bloo Effect".

Edited by cfirwin3

More groups will considering ditching hats.

BD did that for about half of their show in 2012. FWIW

BD did that for about half of their show in 2012. FWIW

In 1992 they nearly ditched the whole uniform right down to suspenders and open shirts for the entirety of the closer.
  • Like 1

i made no assertions

take care

It's the third question in the poll that doesn't include the the option for never. That's the assertion... that it (a majority following) will happen, with absolute certainty.

That and the whole response where you said I was "the only one who is 100% wrong"... 😉

That's quite an assertion 😃.

Not quite... it was because they are functioning (working and moving) like a dance troupe (there is a nuanced difference there). This is a half hour discussion about 'form fitting function'... not style (not exclusively).

And that is my point.

The only way that you conclude that corps will adopt this by majority is by first prophesying that drumcorps shows will function as this particular Bluecoats production. And that isn't a coherent conclusion to make... even the Bluecoats won't do this again quite the same. This is a risky, clever one-off that is tied to the mechanics of the movement in the design.

I completely agree that Bluecoats' uniforms and other visual design choices work very well with their show this year. That's why they're probably going to win the gold medal.

But other corps don't need to clone the specifics of what lead Bluecoats to this costume. They just need to have the same thought - "I want a uniform that works really well with my show this year" - have a quick conversation with their accountant - "no, we can't afford to buy a traditional set of uniforms this year" - and they'll wind up in the same place as Bluecoats. Less expensive "performance attire" that matches the show concept/colors/visual design. Just like is ubiquitous in WGI. Stanbury will be happy to sell it to them.

I completely agree that Bluecoats' uniforms and other visual design choices work very well with their show this year. That's why they're probably going to win the gold medal.

But other corps don't need to clone the specifics of what lead Bluecoats to this costume. They just need to have the same thought - "I want a uniform that works really well with my show this year" - have a quick conversation with their accountant - "no, we can't afford to buy a traditional set of uniforms this year" - and they'll wind up in the same place as Bluecoats. Less expensive "performance attire" that matches the show concept/colors/visual design. Just like is ubiquitous in WGI. Stanbury will be happy to sell it to them.

I don't know... don't you think that would be of a greater risk?

I would assume that if the Bluecoats were performing Tilt in these uniforms... they would be in 4 or 5th place. The design wouldn't make sense and much would be lost in the presentation of traditional drill:

-lost height from missing headwear.

-greater focus on differentiated body types and lack of uniformity in body form.

-generally muddy picture in comparison to others doing the same thing.

A corps might do what you are saying (they always could have), but I doubt very much that it wouldn't hurt them more than it would help. The judges would be asking "why?" with no answer.

Traditionally, corps accessorize their uniform to accomplish this when they can't buy full corps Roman regalia (like Star)... or modified KISS type unis (like Crown)... or alternating color groups (like Cadets)... etc.

Was unable to vote because the poll requires votes in all questions and the last question was leading a conclusion in that it doesn't have an option for "never".

So... my answer is essentially 0 for the first 2 and 'never' for the 3rd.

This Bluecoats uniform is driven by the drill/staging/3d-apparatus. In order for a corps to logically adopt a similar WGI uniform (whatever that means), they would have to adopt the physical attributes and prop design of the program as well. Simply using the uniform design would be ineffective as a design approach... as it would lack purpose.

On another note... uniforms and costumes are synonymous if everybody in the "unit" is wearing the same thing, "uniformly".

The argument that I have seen on threads about uniforms vs. costumes is about as indefensible as the arguments that define what a bugle is by the transposition that its open valves play. The UPS guy, the McDonald's drive-thru clerk, the Walmart sales person, the janitor, the Marine and the drumcorps member are all wearing uniforms on the job... Not because of the style of their garb, but because the people that they work with are 'uniformly' wearing the same purposeful clothing.

A person attending an event wearing an outfit that represents a personality that they are not is wearing a costume. A drumcorps wearing an outfit that identifies them uniformly as the drumcorps that they are... and the show that they convey are no more wearing costumes as they are wearing uniforms.

In that sense... drumcorps have always been wearing uniform costumes in that they uniformly pose as characters of an entertainment program while also identify as a unique group, separate from others.

Just some thoughts, observations and arguments.

But in the end... using a uniform like the Bluecoats without a show like the Bluecoats would sacrifice much more than it gains. So no serious design team would 'take the bait' of the question.

I think one could argue that these costumes that the Bluecoats have actually reduce uniformity as compared to other more traditional uniforms because they accentuate differences in body shape rather than hide them.

I think one could argue that these costumes that the Bluecoats have actually reduce uniformity as compared to other more traditional uniforms because they accentuate differences in body shape rather than hide them.

Absolutely!

They make no sense except as the best possible trade off for the show that they are executing.

In fact, that's probably the greatest function of the waved/curved blue streak... to hide the differentiations better.

That's what I'm saying... this isn't a movement. It's a risky experiment at fulfilling a different kind of show.

Edited by cfirwin3

Absolutely!

They make no sense except as the best possible trade off for the show that they are executing.

That's what I'm saying... this isn't a movement. It's a risky experiment at fulfilling a different kind of show.

I certainly hope you're right!

• 5 months later...