The Bloo Effect: UNIFORMS

Bloo Effect  

144 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bluecoats win the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  2. 2. If the Bluecoats win 2nd or 3rd at the 2016 DCI Final, how many other top 12 corps will start using WGI uniforms for the corps proper?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+
  3. 3. Predict the DCI season where WGI uniforms for the corps proper will be what the majority of corps use.

• 2021+

The costumes that other units adopt will have a purpose in their shows, even if not the same as the purpose for the Bluecoats. That is, you'll see units moving to a different brass & percussion costume every year, with colors/design chosen to match the show, with little resemblance to the uniforms and headgear that units have traditionally worn. I think you're being a little naive if you don't expect a couple more groups to follow the Bluecoats' lead next year.

We've been heading in that direction for some time now.

We've been heading in that direction for some time now.

it's what's next

anybody can see that

i was just curious as to how quickly people thought it might happen for more corps to obliterate the quickly fading line between traditional DCI garb and WGI garb, and the degree to which bloo's choice this year might accelerate the trend

you're probably the only person who's 100% wrong in every way regarding this, so no worries about your lack of votes

for the best, really

Let me help you defend your assertions...

Answer this:

Why are the Bluecoats using this particular uniform this year... having come from 3 great years with a relatively new long coat throw-back design?

This uniform wasn't a progression... there is a reason for it. What is the reason?

Sorry I didn't ask "how long it will be before more corps wear something similar to a long sleeve shirt and pants with some embellishment as a uniform."

Just wow.

Barney_2265600k.jpg

Lance,

Why are the Bluecoats sporting this uniform?

Take a stab at the question... what have you got to lose?

Answer this:

Why are the Bluecoats using this particular uniform this year... having come from 3 great years with a relatively new long coat throw-back design?

This uniform wasn't a progression... there is a reason for it. What is the reason?

Why guess? You can listen to Jon Vanderkolff talk all about it: http://www.marchingroundtable.com/2016/07/13/531/

Short version, they wanted to look like a dance troupe this year. And next year someone will want to look like horses, and someone else like sailors ...

• Like 1

Answer this:

they fit the show design

vanderkolff was unambiguous with the specifics

i asked reasonable drum corps fans to speculate when other corps might do something similar with uniforms to accommodate their show designs

i made no assertions

take care

Lots of parsing going on. Here is how I understand what Lance means by WGI uniforms ....

Show-specific costumes.

Costumes that will change every year based on the show theme and demands.

Much like you see in WGI. Changes every season.

In the case of Bluecoats ... more fitting to dance movement. Able to withstand prop actions (frequent sliding, jumping, throwing, etc). That meant no headgear. That meant form-fitting.

Also. the end result is that even the more modern corps Uniforms are expensive. Too expensive for most groups to make wholesale replacements every year. If you are going to change every year for your theme and design demands, you are less likely to use "Uniform" materials.

We are all talking about the same thing, but arguing about the language.

Why guess? You can listen to Jon Vanderkolff talk all about it: http://www.marchingroundtable.com/2016/07/13/531/

Short version, they wanted to look like a dance troupe this year. And next year someone will want to look like horses, and someone else like sailors ...

Not quite... it was because they are functioning (working and moving) like a dance troupe (there is a nuanced difference there). This is a half hour discussion about 'form fitting function'... not style (not exclusively).

And that is my point.

The only way that you conclude that corps will adopt this by majority is by first prophesying that drumcorps shows will function as this particular Bluecoats production. And that isn't a coherent conclusion to make... even the Bluecoats won't do this again quite the same. This is a risky, clever one-off that is tied to the mechanics of the movement in the design.

Ironically, Vanderkolff talks to great extent about the design of the show offering variety rather than "sameness". So you must conclude (if anything) that if and when the rest look like WGI (again... whatever that means), then the Bluecoats won't.

People are making much to do of nothing regarding the presumptive 'influence' of these uniforms. That's because those same people are unaware that they are divorcing the form from the function in their calculation.

Time will tell. I bet you will see the Bluecoats with helmets and jackets next year. It's hard to get to a majority when the presumptive pioneers jump the proverbial ship.

Edited by cfirwin3