I&E results? post them here

clarinet and sax are about 10X more similar than oboe and clarinet

on to to 3rd grade band kid jokes, lol.

No kidding: wow...

Weird to seem those two instruments lumped together like that, but I guess I assume there aren't even oboes (though there are only 2 bass lines so maybe there was only one oboe?)

Edited by perc2100

Oboe is evil, as in, how darn hard it is. I tried playing my kid's clarinet when she started it, and, ha, what a joke it was so hard. I'll take snare any time.

It's a bummer to see a bare minimum or lack of participation from the bigger corps that used to represent well: SCV, Cavaliers, Crown, BK (did they have anyone - I don't recall). Even BD seemed to have a lot less people participating. I know it's all about the corps' final placement, but I&E has seemingly lost it's luster to a lot of folks

Oboe is evil, as in, how darn hard it is. I tried playing my kid's clarinet when she started it, and, ha, what a joke it was so hard. I'll take snare any time.

My personal opinion, regarding my time as a music teacher + college methods classes:

* oboe IS really darn hard

* clarinet is relatively simple (at least until you get to playing over the break, which is when things get tough - which is maybe after first year of beginning clarinet/band typically)

* I'm 100% with you doubt taking snare (or any percussion ) any time, but I'm of course biased :tounge2:

My personal opinion, regarding my time as a music teacher + college methods classes:

* oboe IS really darn hard

* clarinet is relatively simple (at least until you get to playing over the break, which is when things get tough - which is maybe after first year of beginning clarinet/band typically)

* I'm 100% with you doubt taking snare (or any percussion ) any time, but I'm of course biased :tounge2:

Was about to say the same thing. Lol.

I picked up clarinet really fast. And then Oboe was a #### show. That was HARD.

the only thing harder about oboe than clarinet for me was the embouchure tightness. just difficult for me physically.

when i was young, i remember dilettantes talking about sax being easier than clarinet because of the octave key, but i'd say that the argument breaks down badly when you get to intermediate/master level playing. at that point, it's more about you and the instrument in question than one instrument being inherently harder than another.

the only thing harder about oboe than clarinet for me was the embouchure tightness. just difficult for me physically.

when i was young, i remember dilettantes talking about sax being easier than clarinet because of the octave key, but i'd say that the argument breaks down badly when you get to intermediate/master level playing. at that point, it's more about you and the instrument in question than one instrument being inherently harder than another.

As I understand it from talking to oboists and research, the biggest issue about breath control is not about running out of air, but trying to get rid of it -- you have to control it very carefully so consequently you almost always have more than you need.