A Favor

Safe space needed?

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 3

On this, the day that all of DCI will come together to start sorting out who will ultimately be crowned World Champion, I would ask a favor of everyone.

For the last 6 months these kids...ALL these kids, top 12/bottom 12, Open Class/World Class, have willingly put every aspect of their lives up to scrutiny. Their sleep, their diet, their practice, their performance have all been laid open for all to see, criticize and evaluate. While there are certainly differences from one corps to the next, there is nobody that could ever convince me that any one group of kids works harder than any other. These kids have sacrificed a year of their lives to share this experience doing what they love with the people they love doing it with.

So, when we get our bowl of popcorn and plop down on the couch with our laptops today, ready to comment on every error, every shortcoming, every reason they should be ahead or behind this group or that group, let's give all of these kids the respect they deserve. We are all armchair quarterbacks to one degree or another but they are the ones out there doing it. Sure, we all have our favorites, but I for one will never...NEVER place a negative comment about any corps on a public forum. Is that being wussy, politically correct, mamby pamby, BS?

No, it is being respectful. Respectful of the human beings that sacrificed so much to entertain us. I applaud each and every person that has driven themselves to be better, pushed themselves beyond the limits of their endurance and laid it on the line just so they might hear a little bit of appreciation from a crowd.

So, before you start ripping a group apart, remember that you're on the couch and they are doing it. Kind of like sitting with a hot dog and beer mocking the morbidly obese guy trying to make it 10 minutes on a treadmill. Who is trying to better themselves? Who looks like the idiot?

Best of luck to all of those triumphant warriors that have the courage to take the field of competition today. You have my envy and my undying, unabashed, unrelenting respect.

Dan

Sorry, but it's a COMPETITION and the members know it. negative comments do not take away from the effort and just like anything else, is a life lesson. Heaping praise and platitudes on a show that may not deserve it, is more harmful IMO than honest criticism. BTW, from what I can tell, most on this thread have done it and know the effort and sacrifice the members put in. Some of these are the most critical. That being said, good luck to all corps today and tonight.

• Like 3

Sure, we all have our favorites, but I for one will never...NEVER place a negative comment about any corps on a public forum. Is that being wussy, politically correct, mamby pamby, BS?

Just a little....just saying. Only the Sith speak in absolutes.....

Sorry, but it's a COMPETITION and the members know it. negative comments do not take away from the effort and just like anything else, is a life lesson. Heaping praise and platitudes on a show that may not deserve it, is more harmful IMO than honest criticism. BTW, from what I can tell, most on this thread have done it and know the effort and sacrifice the members put in. Some of these are the most critical. That being said, good luck to all corps today and tonight.

Yup, you're right. It's a contest in which you have no relevant input, credibility or say in the outcome. Any negative references, while certainly within your right to have, serve no other purpose than self serving attempts to justify your own worth. Often, by the way, done hiding behind cryptic usernames and without the willingness to put one's own name to it. Sorry, not buying it.

I was only asking people consider their actions. If you must blow up your own sense of self worth...well do what you will. I choose to be positive.

Dan

Edited by Dan Detweiler

They are young adults, not snowflakes

Harsh personal attacks and ridicule are certainly over the top but feedback on the programs or performances is frankly what we do here

PC police love trying to silence folks. Don't let it happen, you can be honest without being harsh

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

Which is why this forum consists of about 20 people all trying to impress each other with their own knowledge. Granted, I'm on here too, but for this reason, current members avoid it like the plague.

By the way, these kids get crticised on a nightly basis by people who's opinion is relevant to someone other than themselves. I don't think they really care what is said here but it is unfortunate that it so often falls to such pointless negativity.

How about you post the way you want to post and let others post the way they wish to post within the guidelines set out on the terms of service?

I doubt many of us signed up for a lecture this morning from the PC police

• Like 4