2017 PREDICTIONS!

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Understandable considering the staff shakeup.  How far do you think they're falling? 

14th

• Like 1

So the staff shakeup rockets the Cadets and tanks Crown?  Interesting.

3rd to 5th is hardly "tanks" lol

I personally think Crown will emerge from their staff "shakeup" strong, and while I think Cadets will be improved they will finish in the 3rd-6th range... but we all have our guesses at this point

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

3rd to 5th is hardly "tanks" lol

I personally think Crown will emerge from their staff "shakeup" strong, and while I think Cadets will be improved they will finish in the 3rd-6th range... but we all have our guesses at this point

it's a relative place change of 6 spots (2 for crown, 4 for cadets) .  seems like a pretty big change to me.  

7 minutes ago, corpsband said:

it's a relative place change of 6 spots (2 for crown, 4 for cadets) .  seems like a pretty big change to me.  

I totally agree with you on the likelihood being low. I just thought that 3rd to 5th really couldn't be considered tanking - but then again, Cadets went from 4th to 6th (5th at prelims) last year and many think the world ended. So maybe you have a point.

I agree though it is unlikely Cadets go up as high as 2nd (I'd say their range is 6th-3rd) and Crown falling a couple spots could happen but I personally don't see it. I guess it would require SCV/Cadets/Cavaliers 2 out of 3 getting ahead of them. Could happen but unlikely

Crown's past viz team scored well and kept them in top 3. Cadet's past viz team as been struggling for years. 

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

Cadets dropped to 6 last season with staff change. I'm just stating Crown drops 2 spots this season because of staff changes. And remember, their staff was more successful than Cadets viz team so technically a bigger drop can occur but I don't think so. 

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I totally agree with you on the likelihood being low. I just thought that 3rd to 5th really couldn't be considered tanking - but then again, Cadets went from 4th to 6th (5th at prelims) last year and many think the world ended. So maybe you have a point.

I agree though it is unlikely Cadets go up as high as 2nd (I'd say their range is 6th-3rd) and Crown falling a couple spots could happen but I personally don't see it. I guess it would require SCV/Cadets/Cavaliers 2 out of 3 getting ahead of them. Could happen but unlikely

Scoring is all relative so (IMO) it's always important to see who moves where.   I agree with you that just moving from 3rd to 5th by itself is not big.  (although I think Crown should always be in medal contention!!) 

Anyway I have no idea what's going to happen at Cadets.  None at all.  I could see them moving back up and I could also believe another dip.  I do believe they picked great music.  Bobby will design a good product.  No Gino, No Colin.  That's what I don't know.

I'm a little more optimistic about Crown.  I think they upgraded in design and (possibly?) upgraded at guard.  Top to bottom that guard staff is far more experienced than last year.  Yes MT is a fantastic choreographer.  I'd also point out that what he wrote was very often tagged as "over-writing" for outdoor.  I was worried about movement but camp reports have put those worries to rest. 

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Since Blue Stars once again seem to be a favorite to drop out of finals, I'll say why I think they'll maintain or move up in placement.  

- Consistency and Improvement in Most Areas

Outside of a shotty visual program in 2015 (which was fast corrected and well improved in 2016) they're either improving or maintaining in everything else every year since they missed finals in 2012.  Percussion has been IMO the best and most consistent in the sub 6th grouping for a few years and despite their writers (not caption head) leaving I don't see that changing much at all, doesn't seem to have effected their vets in that section too much.  Color Guard consistently has the most challenging book in their range every year, just a matter of if it gets clean enough (2014, 2016) or not (2015) to get credit.  Brass has been improving leaps and bounds since Dr. Miller arrived in 2015 and I don't see that stopping.  They've transformed their approach to their brass sound in two years without a hiccup.  

- Design Team has a Well Proven Track Record in Recent Years

Normally new arrangers/designers and the departure of someone like Richard Saucedo would have me cautious/scared but Sullivan/Ford/Shapiro have been working together for years, and not just since their Blue Stars shows from the late 2000s to 2011, they're still working together VERY well at Tarpon Springs creating some of the most difficult and complex things you'll see from a high school.  They'll work together fantastically I'm sure.  

- Best Season in Years in 2016

Yes they placed the same as they did in 2014, but as a whole their season in 2016 was much stronger.  In 2014 they spent pretty much all year outside of finals week where they moved past Boston Crusaders into 9th at 10th or so.  2016 they were fighting Phantom Regiment and Blue Knights for 7th pretty much all season up until finals week when those two finally pulled away some.  They just as easily could have placed their highest in a VERY long time as they did 9th.  

That said it's not impossible for them to miss finals, but baring an absolute melt down in design which I do not see happening I think they'll be just fine in 2017.  

• Like 1