Recaps are up on DCI.org

You can't max a subcaption before the show is over. Left himself no room. He assumed that Bluecoats guard would not achieve as much. I was taught as a judge to NEVER do that.

...and 2 pts in ach over Crown. Seems like he was really trying to push BD over the top for the caption. Is there an opportunity for judge critique during championship week?

• Like 1

...and 2 pts in ach over Crown. Seems like he was really trying to push BD over the top for the caption. Is there an opportunity for judge critique during championship week?

Hmm. Yes. Didn't Crown win the Zingali? So over the three nights Crown's guard was better overall. And the guard judge isn't on the field but is up in the pressbox or the stands, so their consistency of impression should be roughly the same across all three nights. So either Crown got significantly worse, BD got significantly better, or one of the judges was way off. Perhaps the consistency in what they are judging isn't there. Maybe one judge places more emphasis on traditional guard work such as equipment work, and another judge considers it to be mostly a dance competition with equipment work extra? Speculative, of course.

As of this moment, full recaps are up for the 2016 season (at least the several shows I checked) on DCI.org.

And in other breaking news, World War II is over. :tongue:

• Like 3

You can't max a subcaption before the show is over. Left himself no room. He assumed that Bluecoats guard would not achieve as much. I was taught as a judge to NEVER do that.

Yes, but then again how does a judge anticipate how strong the top corps will be? They didn't judge them the night before finals, or possibly even the week before. It has to be a lot of estimation and extrapolation. I'm not surprised they get it wrong.

And in other breaking news, World War II is over. :tongue:

Was it already mentioned in the Finals thread? I couldn't keep up with it last night, and today it's well beyond what I have time to get through. Anyway, many people thought it would be sometime in September or October that the full recaps would be made available.

Yes, but then again how does a judge anticipate how strong the top corps will be? They didn't judge them the night before finals, or possibly even the week before. It has to be a lot of estimation and extrapolation. I'm not surprised they get it wrong.

But you leave room for the "what ifs"

Remaining groups may not be better but you leave room just in case.

But you leave room for the "what ifs"

Remaining groups may not be better but you leave room just in case.

Yes, clearly the judges at finals have a pretty good idea of how strong the top corps will be from long experience. The corps may be better than expected, but not by all that much. Still, I'd be tempted to allow for 97 or 96 as the top anticipated score if I hadn't judged them in more than a week. Even the 99s and 98s seem to represent an error of judgement, so to speak. (But I am not a judge).

Maybe they do anticipate lower, and every year they are surprised by how strong the corps are, by multiple points.

Also, they have to bump a few corps up (usually it's up) by an integer at the subcaption level or .1 or .5 at caption level due to ties. So that's another reason to leave more room.

As I understand it, DCI now allows judges to adjust their scores after a subsequent corps performance. If so, a perfect score assignment with corps remaining isn't such a big deal.

(this is why scores were announced in larger chunks this year)