Recaps are up on DCI.org

Exactly as stated above by DCI-86...and do we know if the judge may have waited for the last corps to perform BEFORE writing in the 100 for BD?

I bet he did. They usually hold back their sheets in groups. So would have assigned and reviewed the last 4-5 corps, before handing in his sheets.

Edited by DCI-86

Hmm. Yes. Didn't Crown win the Zingali? So over the three nights Crown's guard was better overall. And the guard judge isn't on the field but is up in the pressbox or the stands, so their consistency of impression should be roughly the same across all three nights. So either Crown got significantly worse, BD got significantly better, or one of the judges was way off. Perhaps the consistency in what they are judging isn't there. Maybe one judge places more emphasis on traditional guard work such as equipment work, and another judge considers it to be mostly a dance competition with equipment work extra? Speculative, of course.

IMO on this, BD's guard WAS significantly better at Finals than they had been the previous two days. There were multiple drops and timing errors on Thursday and the section of spinning through the props was a complete disaster. On Friday they were considerably improved, but still a few issues. On Saturday they were fantastic. Crown was good all three nights, but BD really stepped it up on Saturday.

Getting the recaps after the season is over, is akin to opening a Christmas gift 12/28 mailed to you from your long lost relative, when you knows its a tie inside, but not the colors.

The excitement to now have the recaps is so overwhelming..... oh happy days.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Hmm. Yes. Didn't Crown win the Zingali? So over the three nights Crown's guard was better overall. And the guard judge isn't on the field but is up in the pressbox or the stands, so their consistency of impression should be roughly the same across all three nights. So either Crown got significantly worse, BD got significantly better, or one of the judges was way off. Perhaps the consistency in what they are judging isn't there. Maybe one judge places more emphasis on traditional guard work such as equipment work, and another judge considers it to be mostly a dance competition with equipment work extra? Speculative, of course.

I hope that DCI does a statistical analysis of the scores that judges prescribe. Judges should be free to give the value they see and hear. However, if the value is so out of the ordinary, further review into the rationale for giving that score should be made. Judges that go rouge should be fired.

I hope that DCI does a statistical analysis of the scores that judges prescribe. Judges should be free to give the value they see and hear. However, if the value is so out of the ordinary, further review into the rationale for giving that score should be made. Judges that go rouge should be fired.

sorry bro - had to do it!

UjoUttG.png

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

. Judges that go rouge should be fired.

lol!! Please don't get me started ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

I found Cesario's discussion of how they do judge evaluations pretty interesting: http://www.marchingroundtable.com/2016/05/25/518/

Basically, self eval, peer eval, corps eval, Cesario/Phillips eval. He specifically talks about listening to the tapes of judges who give outlier numbers to see if they justify the numbers. Judges basically get used more or less or not at all based on the result of the evaluations.

He doesn't mention statistical analysis, and I'm not sure that it would really help. It's one thing to know that on Aug 2nd, Jane Judge gave a significantly bigger guard spread from Corps X to their closest competitor. It's another thing entirely to know whether Jane was correct to do so. Corps X can use the evaluation process if they think they are getting incorrectly evaluated by Jane.

Edited by ShortAndFast
  • Like 1

Calling on Garfield - or some other numbers cruncher.

Here's what I'd like to see on the recaps.

A statistical analysis.

Caption highs and lows for each corps - season historical, by date

Caption rankings by corps - season historical, by date

Scoring, ranking by judge, plus/minus the average for each corps

Judge differential above/below a prescribed tolerance

What the analysis might show:

Wacky scoring outside of the norm

Bias

Inconsistency - or consistency in judging

Scoring patterns

I'm sure there's more that a numbers cruncher can pull out from the recaps.

I would hope this is the thing that DCI would do to evaluate their judges.

As I've said before, I think only the best, most experienced judges should ever get near Lucas Oil Stadium. I think it is a travesty that as fans we even have to consider who the judging panel is on any given night as to how that might affect the scoring.