2017 Boston Crusaders

Just another musical suggestion...

Of Sailors and Whales by Francis McBeth is a multi-movement work based on five scenes from Herman Melville’s Moby Dick.

• Like 1

Hey I wonder when the new design team is going to get together? I'd imagine these things have to be figured out over the next month or so...I'm a bit ignorant to how the process works...

Is it move-ins yet?....lol

Just another music suggestion...LOL

Harrison's Dream - Peter Graham

This fascinating work for advanced bands by English composer Peter Graham brings to life the quest of a man to save lives. In the early 1700s there was still no reliable tool for navigation on seagoing vessels, resulting in the demise of many ships and their crews. English clockmaker John Harrison realized the gravity of the problem, and worked to develop a solution, today known as the concept of longitude. Much of this intriguing, programmatic composition echoes the mechanical sounds of a clockmaker's shop, punctuated with gripping "dream episodes" depicting the nightmares that plagued Harrison as he worked tirelessly to prevent more maritime disasters. The sounding of bells and tender melodic moments honor the lives lost as well as the importance of Harrison's work.

OKAY...last musical suggestion for a while...I promise!!!!

Kingdom of Dragons - Philip Harper

The ‘Kingdom of Dragons’ is Gwent in South Wales, known in ancient times as the Kingdom of Gwent, and more recently home to the Newport Gwent Dragons Rugby Union team.

This piece was commissioned by the Gwent Music Service with additional funding from Ty Cerdd - Music Centre Wales to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2010 of the formation of the Gwent Youth Brass Band.

Although the music is continuous, it is divided into four distinct sections, each one representing one of the unitary authorities which make up the County of Gwent.

I.Monmouthshire, which has a large number of ancient castles
II.Blaenau Gwent, an historic area of iron and coal mining.
III.Torfaen, where Pontypool Park is a notable landmark.
IV.Newport, the largest city in the region.

The music begins with a two-bar fanfare, which sets out all the thematic material of the piece. The mood of pageantry that follows describes some of the ancient castles in Monmouthshire, with rolling tenor drums and fanfaring cornets.

After a majestic climax the music subsides and quite literally descends into the coal mines of Blaenau Gwent. The percussion provides effects that suggest industrial machinery clanking into life, and the music accelerates to become a perilous white-knuckle ride on the underground railroad. There is a brief respite as a miner’s work-song is introduced and, after a protracted build-up, this is restated at fortissimo before the music comes crashing to an inglorious close, much like the UK’s mining industry itself.

The middle sonorities of the band portray the tranquillity of Pontypool Park, a place of great natural beauty. Brief cadenzas for cornet and euphonium lead to a full band reprise of the pastoral mood. At the end of this section we find ourselves at the top of the park’s ‘Folly Tower’ from which the distant castle turrets of Monmouthshire are visible.

Pontypool RFC was one of eleven clubs in the first Welsh league in 1881 and a brief but bruising musical portrayal of the formidable Pontypool front-row, the ‘Viet Gwent’ leads into the work’s final section. This portrays Newport, a symbol for progress and optimism for the future, ideals shared by the Gwent Youth Band itself. The music is a vigorous fugue which advances through various keys and episodes before the final triumphant augmented entry which brings the work to a magnificent conclusion.

Hey I wonder when the new design team is going to get together? I'd imagine these things have to be figured out over the next month or so...I'm a bit ignorant to how the process works...

Is it move-ins yet?....lol

First of all.....you're being placed in music suggestion time-out!

based on LAST year (NO knowledge of this year)............ design concept meetings (both in person & conf. calls) from shortly after the end of finals - end of August; design team and caption heads were announced mid to end of September; show concept/theme was announced Sept. 21.

• Like 1

I know I know...enough already with the musical suggestions....haha

Well here goes another musical suggestion...

Star Wars Saga arranged by Johan de Meij

This is a wind band arrangement of the beautiful film music by John Williams. The piece includes the 'Star Wars Theme', the 'Imperial March', 'Yoda and Princess Leia's Themes', 'The Throne Room' and 'May the Force be with you.'
What I personally loved about this particular arrangement was the juxtaposition of The Planets - Mars the Bringer of War by Gustav Host and the Star Wars Theme @ 1:24 of this recording AND at the end a nod to the first two chords of Rocky Point Holiday by Rod Nelson @12:20...well at least that's how it sounded to me anyway...

I like this. However, I thought I heard somewhere before that Composer John Williams is now almost next to impossible to get approval to play his compositions anymore in Drum Corps.... or cost prohibitive for DCI Corps ( or something like that ).

Edited by BRASSO

I like this. However, I thought I heard somewhere before that Composer John Williams is now almost next to impossible to get approval to play his compositions anymore in Drum Corps.... or cost prohibitive for DCI Corps ( or something like that ).

Cost prohibitive?...lol..BAC is loaded...hehe...I did think that JW would be problem....but decided that it was not MY problem....haha

• Like 1

Are these new hires replacing people at BAC, or are these new positions being added to the organization?

a little of both.