2017 Boston Crusaders

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It is an actual thing though, when you base something on a historical event there are things we can take creativity liberties with and things we should not

take the movie a Titanic, the love story angle was made up, but the ship still sank

one has to get the basic known facts correct 

Hey, no spoilers!

:laughing:

I feel like this needs to be said more and more...

it's just drum corps

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Dig the show. This, SCV, BD, SOA, BC are my favorites so far. Oh, and let me also add Crossmen. Can't leave them out. 

and your point?...LOL

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I just find the rewriting of American history so fascinating. 

C'mon Dix!

It is ART.  

Need I say more?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Sorry I didn't realize it had been mentioned already, honestly just popped into my head when I saw the new addition to the show for the first time this morning

Good show and very good corps though!

np Dix!

xandl had complained about the historical accuracy about burning the witch in Salem...so when you came along today it was just poor timing is all...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It is an actual thing though, when you base something on a historical event there are things we can take creativity liberties with and things we should not

take the movie a Titanic, the love story angle was made up, but the ship still sank

one has to get the basic known facts correct 

This famous painting of ...."The Death of General Wolfe" by Benjamin West depicts a real historical event, but the details are not all accurate. The costumes in this painting are considered accurate enough historically, but the entire display of figures on the Plains of Abraham is too staged to be considered an historical depiction of what actually happened. Yes, General Wolfe was killed.

Death_of_General_Wolfe_B.West1770-300x20

Yes, Bridgett Bishop was killed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

np Dix!

xandl had complained about the historical accuracy about burning the witch in Salem...so when you came along today it was just poor timing is all...

We could apply the same historical purity scrutiny test to at least 50 Drum Corps shows done in the past.. haha! ( Including the Cadets we might add... ) and none of the 50 would pass the complete, 100%  history accuracy purity test either. but... SO WHAT ?.. its a Drum Corps show... its ART, Theatre,,,, The performers are all play acting.  Its not a History Symposium, with History Scholars pouring over how people were put to death where & when, Good grief... some people need to get a grip.  The vast majority of people this summer are enjoying the show, the judges are seemingly too, and the performers in Boston are loving performing this show ( it shows too), and thats what we mainly take away from this, imo. The rest is just noise with this :.. " but in history, the accused " witches " were not tortured, nor executed in this fashion. The " witches " were tortured, then executed  in some other fashion" ... Ok.. we Drum Corps fans get this scholarly point you are trying to make. We get it.. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

View form Jupiter!  I think the Cavies might have something to say about that though ...haha

DEZK4AKWAAAgbMs.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Clearly, you completely misunderstood all of it. Salem had nothing to do with the little girls or witchcraft - it had to do with adults who were so eager to cause suffering that they gleefully supported a process that saw others murdered while claiming to act under the guise of religious belief.

But as for seeming amazed that the sexuality isn't part of their approach, uh, hello? Wicked Games (which is sung in the show) is a song about overwhelming desire - not about women property owners. And have you met the guard uniform? 

19601221_1482812641762674_53280468287328

The kids in the corps are performing well, and are well taught. The show design concept is purely WGI, in every bad way.  The Salem episode is no more fitting for light entertainment than is the Oklahoma City bombing. YMMV, of course.

Clearly you have no clue about Salem then. I've lived in the area, been there a number of times and have read quite a bit about it.   It was about a lot of things, not only what you think it might be, religion. It had as much to do about religion, an easy card to play and anything.  But more than anything else it was about fear mongering and ignorance.  It was about girls covering their butts for things they were doing they should not have and blaming other innocent people. It was about land ownership and women inheriting lands men didn't believe a woman should own.  They found a way to rid themselves of the women in a horrible way, making up stories that were completely untrue, and absurdly convoluted to fit their selfish desires.  It created an environment of fear where anyone could accuse another with no proof of anything and to prove innocence you might die.  It had a lot to do with women's right as well.  So read some more about it and put some thought into it.  You also should review Boston's program outline as well to get a better understanding of the show.  And if you want to be offended by sexuality go talk to Bluecoats then.  And to compare it in any way to the OKC bombing is simply a dumb comment.

• Like 2