Percussion: Overall Placements

You apparently don't get around many Corps tryout camps in the offseaaon much then. Most corps off season tryout camps do not select their ( for example ) drummers skills for a spot in line off an evaluation on a competition football field among the drummers in competition from their football field marching movements. ( which is what we are talking about here). The fact that your tryout camp asked you " to move " in your evaluation of your percussion abilities, has nothing at all to do with the commentary above that the only way to properly assess the drummers skills is " in competition on a football field " . But I just told you that most Corps staffs themselves do not even have this " football field competition " among the drummers to determine the skills of the drummers they want in line for the summer season. if they don't think that assessing drummers skills on a football field in competition with others is absolutely essential to that evaluation process, then neither do I . So I don't know what else to tell you.

There you go again trying to argue against a point that hasn't been made. But you already know that. Keep on pushing that straw man. You're not fooling anyone.

Meanwhile, I've been around plenty of drum corps auditions since its what I do for a living (teaching and writing for band and drum corps). Your assertion that drum corps staff's primarily evaluate members in a standstill situation is flat out incorrect. The Facebook posts from drum corps every November and December with members on the move are plenty of proof of that if you don't want to take my word for it.

Also, as I explained to you, its much easier to separate kids at an audition, where the talent pool is significantly more diverse. When judging the members of the upper echelon of world class, the standards are much closer together, and every method of delineation matters. These kids have now been playing together for months. You're past the point of whether or not a kid is learning the technique you want him to learn, and on to whether or not the ensemble can produce at the highest level.

Bottom line: you can't evaluate a percussion section purely via youtube.

Either Cavaliers got a big bump on finals night compared to the averages or Crown got dumped on.

Cavs went up 0.45 in Ensemble and up 0.25 on the field = 0.35 total percussion increase

Crown went down 0.25 in Ensemble and down 0.30 on the field = 0.275 total percussion decrease

Really? How many drum corps percussion staffs have you been on? How do you know what the evaluation process is, or how members are being evaluated?

I've never auditioned at, nor taught a drum corps that didn't evaluate their drummers on the move. I don't know of a single drum corps that doesn't either.

At auditions, you're also dealing with a considerably wider range of talent. Its much easier to weed out the kids who don't have what it takes when you're not looking at groups entirely comprised of world class drum corps performers.

None of this is to mention the complex and convoluted way we (as battery instructors) find to simulate the environment and coordination on the field. From tracking, to lot drill, to rehearsing in forms, we go out of our way to simulate the environment on the field. Why would we do that if it didn't make a huge difference?

Also, now you're the one arguing against things that weren't said. Nobody is saying that the only way to evaluate drummers' abilities is on the move. We're simply saying that Youtube doesn't tell you enough to make that kind of determination.

Illegal use of logic and rational facts.

Based on the 3-Night Average...

CONTENT

Ensemble Content Placements:

1. Bluecoats - 96.50
  2. Vanguard - 95.33
  3. Blue Devils - 95.00
  4. Crown - 94.17
  5. Cadets - 93.83

Field Content Placements:

1. Vanguard - 96.83
  2. Bluecoats- 96.33
  3. Blue Devils - 94.50
  4. Crown - 93.50
  5. Cadets - 93.33

Overall Content Placements:

1. Bluecoats: 96.42
  2. Vanguard: 96.08
  3. Blue Devils: 94.75
  4. Crown: 93.83
  5. Cadets: 93.58

ACHIEVEMENT

Ensemble Achievement Placements:

1. Bluecoats - 96.17
  2. Vanguard - 95.17
  3. Blue Devils - 93.67
  4. Cadets - 93.00
  5. Crown - 92.83

Field Achievement Placements:

1. Vanguard - 96.17
  2. Blue Devils - 95.33
  3. Bluecoats - 94.50
  4. Crown - 93.17
  5. Cadets - 92.67

Overall Achievement Placements:

1. Vanguard: 96.17
  2. Bluecoats: 95.33
  3. Blue Devils: 94.50
  4. Crown: 93.00
  5. Cadets: 92.83

There you go again trying to argue against a point that hasn't been made.

. Your assertion that drum corps staff's primarily evaluate members in a standstill situation is flat out incorrect. The Facebook posts from drum corps every November and December with members on the move are plenty of proof of that if you don't want to take my word for it.

Oh brother. I guess it does need repeating... I did not state that percussion staffers do not assess the percussion campers strictly and exclusively on a standstill format, nor that they do not often evaluate them with their drumming skills ( snare, tenors, bass ) " while on the move " as well. ( but yes, much of the evaluation is indeed done indoors for many Corps at tryouts and done in a standstill format)

I said ( quote )... " Most Corps offseason tryout camps do not select their drummers skills for a spot in line, from an evaluation on a competition on a football field among the drummers in competition from their FOOTBALL FIELD MARCHING MOVEMENTS... which is what we are talking about here ". ( end of quote ) SO... if drummers skills can be assessed by staffers ( and spots in line selected ) from a non football field marching movement competition among competing drummers ( which is primarily how its done by most Corps ), then I and others can make similar assessments.( I think we have just about beat this horse to a pulp now, and time to put the whip away.)

Edited by BRASSO

So can we ignore this Brasso myron and his uninformed conceptions of the evaluation of drumlines and get back to the discussion?

Phenomenal year for percussion. My favorites were Crown, and the Blues (Knights, coats, & Devils).

So can we ignore this Brasso myron and his uninformed conceptions of the evaluation of drumlines and get back to the discussion?

Phenomenal year for percussion. My favorites were Crown, and the Blues (Knights, coats, & Devils).

Cool self portrait picture there, old skool, drmmr . You look simply Mahhhvelus. But can you move around the indoor carpet there, and play as well too ?

Edited by BRASSO

We try but he's the cut that keeps coming back every month

maybe we should all Zika like the Brazilian soccer fans do !

If you and 3 others here that run together in a pack want to become like " Brazilian soccer fans ", then our advice would be to go for it. But only if you 4 can play a Brazilian drum, while simultaneously demonstrating to us that you can all collectively do the rhumba in unison on a soccer field.

Edited by BRASSO