Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

clearly the brass and percussion were strong in the winter videos - so that got all of us "hyped" - nothing wrong with that

in all honesty I saw them at ST once and thought it looked pretty good... for ten days into spring training

by the time we saw them in OH prior to Indy issues started to become obvious - folks started commenting here and elsewhere of top 3 music and 8th place visual

you keep pushing this "hype" that I didn't see too much of last year - why is that? 

who "reported here who was often at ST"??? 

I just think it's easy to forget early season hype when the season is over.  That's all I'm saying.

Edited by corpsband

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

clearly the brass and percussion were strong in the winter videos - so that got all of us "hyped" - nothing wrong with that

I agree. The videos of the brass playing, and especially the snare line, showed the Cadets looking quite strong as a matter of fact. it was not so much hype, as much as the fact that the Cadets  DID sound pretty good in the winter camp videos, imo.

This is why the Visuals/Guard is really where its at now, imo.

Once the Visuals/ Guard were added ( and Mr. Handsome in his skivvies) to the large cake like prop... there was the OMG moment when it became crystal clear that no amount of good brass playing and/ or good drumming was going to save this design misfire for the Cadets last season. One other thing, while I can't proove it, I also believe that a subpar show design bleeds into the Percussion scores. Yes, I know it sounds weird and all, but no one can convince me that the Cadets had a 6th place Percussion section last season. Cadets seemed way better to me than a 6th place Percussion section last season. Oh well. That was last season.. this season begins anew.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I know George was upset (called me a liar) when I said "if you had read his hype" so I won't mention him at all. 

BUT....

Go back and read what you were saying.  I think you'll be surprised at you all reacted to the first viewing of this show.

Here's a link back to June 4th (the preview that GH gave on his phone for donors but then let everyone see it)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/163418-cadets-2016/&page=340

Y'all were excited and happy.  It's only AFTER the season (and after the CotC was shown) that all this revisionist history started seeping into everyone's mind.  

•  it isn't giving off a championship vibe just yet :)
  • Definitely getting a 2005 vibe here.
  • Late to the party again, but daaaaaaamn did they sound and look amazing. I'm so excited for 2016. So excited!
  • Holy ####. I was not a fan of their musical programming when announced but boy does it work well on the field. They even managed to make Fountains of Rome interesting again. And that ballad. <swoon>

God forbid if a fan is excited on June 4th

What does this matter now? 

You keep bringing this up. You did lie when you alluded that I said they were championship bound. I predicted them in 3rd to 5th all season. They finished sixth. Crucify me lol 

bottom line it doesn't really matter now, does it?!

21 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I just think it's easy to forget early season hype when the season is over.  That's all I'm saying.

But why do you keep saying it over and over and over? Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Good question :-)

The point I was trying to make here was that the comments we're seeing here are just as much hype (eg.  "lesson learned") as they were last season.  Im not criticizing you for hyping up your team.  I'm just trying to point out we (includes me!) need to realize when we're "hyping" and when we're not.  

Things blur together.  And we tend to edit out recollection to fit the facts afterwards.

That's all -- nothing evil about.  Just don't confuse hype and observation.

Liahona asked "if you knew things were so bad back then, why didn't you say something".  His point was you ddn't know things were bad.  In fact you thought thing were really good.  It was only way after the fact that you realized things weren't so good.  Anyway -- that's why I brought it up.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Why do you need to ask ? ( lol!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Good question :-)

The point I was trying to make here was that the comments we're seeing here are just as much hype (eg.  "lesson learned") as they were last season.  Im not criticizing you for hyping up your team.  I'm just trying to point out we (includes me!) need to realize when we're "hyping" and when we're not.  

Things blur together.  And we tend to edit out recollection to fit the facts afterwards.

That's all -- nothing evil about.  Just don't confuse hype and observation.

Yeah. No. I literally said they had 70 horns at camp and played thru the music. If this is "hype" in your book you need to get out  more ;-)

posting information about the staff or the camp isn't hype, it's intel 

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Yeah. No. I literally said they had 70 horns at camp and played thru the music. If this is "hype" in your book you need to get out  more ;-)

posting information about the staff or the camp isn't hype, it's intel 

Sure.  But saying "they've learned their lesson" isn't.  We don't know.  In fact even after seeing the show you won't know.  I guess that's where I was going.  

And it's also why Tekk is completely backing off hype.  Just the facts, Ma'am .  Just the facts.

Edited by corpsband

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Sure.  But saying "they've learned their lesson" isn't.  We don't know.  In fact even after seeing the show you won't know.  I guess that's where I was going.  

And it's also why Tekk is completely backing off hype.  Just the facts, Ma'am .  Just the facts.

Is taking things out of context fun for you?

you should work for CNN!

• Like 3