Cadets 2017

51 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Or the MIT janatah likin them apples.

yah, I mixed metaphors. Damon attended Harvard in real life but was employed by MIT in the movie.

To a New Yahwker, one rotary looks like every other one.

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

To a New Yahwker, one rotary looks like every other one.

Most New YourKors drive thru all rotaries like they're all the same too!

C5XX2wLWcAAhXs1.jpg

This photo of Cadets past soprano line (trumpets for the newbies) reminds me of how many Cadets sops have gone on to lead DCI and WGI shows we enjoy today (Leon May, Jeff Sacktig, Jon Vanderkolff, Drew Shanefield, Jason DeGroff, Patrick Duncan, etc., etc.) For all the time I kid about the trumpet divas, there certainly is a lot of talent borne in that section.

Congratulations to Jon and to past Cadets Color Guard guru Peggy Twiggs for being named to WGI's Hall of Fame for 2017. (Of course, guardsters know her for originating the "Peggy Spin." a type of flag twirl.)

Article Image

Edited by xandandl

52 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Two things I seriously do not understand:

1. How Cadets did not win in 2007

2. What happened to the "whatta manuuvah" shout on finals night?

Cadets should have won. Cleanest corps I've ever seen. Loudest corps I've ever heard. And we speak of innovation, the first corps to really utilize voice throughout the program as a top WC corps. Maybe a bit raw in hindsight but they assumed risk and did it well for the time. (Please don't tell me some mini corps with 8 horns did it two years before. Who the #### cares.)..

Goes to show you as judging has become more subjective, the anti-Cadets (probably more anti-GH) sentiment amongst the judging community becomes more and more apparent. I've said this numerous times, it probably costs Cadets one full placement a year.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Cadets should have won. Cleanest corps I've ever seen. Loudest corps I've ever heard. And we speak of innovation, the first corps to really utilize voice throughout the program as a top WC corps. Maybe a bit raw in hindsight but they assumed risk and did it well for the time. (Please don't tell me some mini corps with 8 horns did it two years before. Who the #### cares.)..

Goes to show you as judging has become more subjective, the anti-Cadets (probably more anti-GH) sentiment amongst the judging community becomes more and more apparent. I've said this numerous times, it probably costs Cadets one full placement a year.

That's a pretty #### strong statement.  

And it would require a vast conspiracy within the entire judging community.  

Gonna' have to call bull---- on that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

, the anti-Cadets (probably more anti-GH) sentiment amongst the judging community becomes more and more apparent. I've said this numerous times, it probably costs Cadets one full placement a year.

Why, in your opinion, is the DCI Judging community " anti- Cadets " ?  I had not heard of the judges being " anti- Cadets " before, so was curious ( I would think other DCP'ers would want to know about this alleged Judge bias against the Cadets too). So what does the " anti Cadets" bias from the DCI judging community spring from in your view ?... ...care to elaborate ?

12 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

That's a pretty #### strong statement.  

And it would require a vast conspiracy within the entire judging community.  

Gonna' have to call bull---- on that one.

Seriously? We all know the off season relationships with judges and staff of corps. When in a situation where a corps is to be given the benefit of the doubt... Cadets are not high on that list. Of course "hash-gate" in 2007 by GH may have been interpreted as another act of arrogance by him. Not out of the realm of reality for a few judges to have to attitude of let's see what you gained for stopping the show. 

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Why, in your opinion, is the DCI Judging community " anti- Cadets " ?  I had not heard of the judges being " anti- Cadets " before, so was curious ( I would think other DCP'ers would want to know about this alleged Judge bias against the Cadets too). So what does the " anti Cadets" bias from the DCI judging community spring from in your view ?... ...care to elaborate ?

Very anti-GH and perhaps rightfully so and invariably, it's filters down to Cadets to a lesser degree. Judges probably don't want to take it out in the kids but I think it happens. (Was Cadets 2016 Percussion really 6th place?).  I mean seriously. I get design issues blah blah but when their is any suspicion of vulberability, Cadets get plummeted and I just don't see that with other WC corps. 

A big fix would be to have s new face to Cadets. A young friendly guy that interacts nicely with the judging community. I'm hoping Tom Aungst takes this role starting 2017. (Maybe not younger but..)He's very respected and although has a temper, can be diplomatic when required where GH would just turn around saying ######## and walk away from a judge.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Oh gosh. I just thought 2007 was off. The other recent years seem ok to me, though I would have had them personally ahead of cavaliers and very close to SCV last season