Not sure if this is what they would want to do, or if it's possible; but I LOVE this idea. Summer would have a different vibe. DCI would have more die-hards checking into the tapes and watching the live feed of critique than those watching the DCI Live broadcasts. Heck, they could make a sh** load of money with downloadable judging audio and live-stream critiques.

We fight now, especially when we get to see full recaps. :) Think about how crazy this place would be with the above ideas added. It would be epic! Death threats, drunken rants...I mean at some point someone's mom is going to make the conversation. :silly:

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Honestly, you can learn so much more about how a corps is doing in each caption by listening to a tape better than staring at numbers.

If one of the goals of redacted recaps was to encourage more free-wheeling opinions and numbers from judges, rather than slotted ranking and rating, this year's summer indicates it was a success. There was more movement on a day to day, week to week basis than at any time since the 80s, all of which increased fan involvement and helped lead to summer of very good sales at the major regional contests.

More ticket sales and DVD sales, better revenues in the DCI coffers, more money coming back to the corps through their annual split. And THAT is the whole purpose of DCI in the first place - to generate money for the corps.

Nothing of any value would be created by going to transparency, whereas it appears muted recaps helped generate fan intensity and revenue. Not much of a battle there when it comes to figuring out which makes more sense

except the same kind of results were apparent last year. its called get judges to buy into the philosophy or get rid of them.

but I will state as i went pokerecapmongo hunting this summer, i actually had 3 corps directors email me asking for a copy.

This is just a random question (I need guidance/advice on this)...but would it also make sense to...

1. Publish/Make More Available info on which drum corps the judges themselves played with or were involved with? To spot any potential bias?

2. Throw out the high and the low score, like they do in the Olympics?

3. Have a FAN FAVORITE every year on Finals Night ... TEXT to VOTE ... TEXTS are tallied and Award is Presented after announcing judged 1st place winner