BD Drum Question

Okay, a slight/brief detour for this thread. Because I have to ask.........

Why or how did it come about that students are recruiting other students to write parts of a marching band show. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just wondering about staff (or maybe, lack of staff).

Depends on the program, resources, era, the member.

I would say members designing/teaching is certainly an exception and not the norm in most cases.

Okay, a slight/brief detour for this thread. Because I have to ask.........

Why or how did it come about that students are recruiting other students to write parts of a marching band show. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just wondering about staff (or maybe, lack of staff).

This was like 1980. We basically had a director and part time guard instructor. I wrote the drum parts for snares, tenors, cymbals, and basses. Heffe wrote the musical portion - AKA mallet parts. There was no pit yet - they were still carrying xylophones and bells etc. We were allowed to write our own stuff because the director liked our offerings better than the canned stuff. Just that simple. We had a drum instructor that came up from NMSU for band camp but otherwise we were on our own.

Edited by SFZFAN

This was like 1980. We basically had a director and part time guard instructor. I wrote the drum parts for snares, tenors, cymbals, and basses. Heffe wrote the musical portion - AKA mallet parts. There was no pit yet - they were still carrying xylophones and bells etc. We were allowed to write our own stuff because the director liked our offerings better than the canned stuff. Just that simple. We had a drum instructor that came up from NMSU for band camp but otherwise we were on our own.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Okay, y'all can get back to the regularly scheduled thread about "BD Drum Question".

• Like 1

1991's show really grew on me. Yes, it's easier to like given the stellar brass. No, "average" is not a correct term here. Look at the recap. They lost POINTS because of percussion.

That is so true. It cost them at least 4th place. When I hear BD has been in the top 5 since 1975 I just want to "yell" they only had one 5th place finish. It should say top 4 since 1975 all but once.

Hell, I went to HS in the late 80's and early 90's and we had to do that as well. I even had a staff shirt for 2 years instead of a MM one.

Mike

• Like 1

That is so true. It cost them at least 4th place. When I hear BD has been in the top 5 since 1975 I just want to "yell" they only had one 5th place finish. It should say top 4 since 1975 all but once.

yea. I know only one guy who marched 91. He told me little about it but it seems there was a lot of internal strife and I think other factors. The drum book in April had some insane writing that included John McLaughlin stuff in 9/8 but was scrapped. Why I only imagine was it was too hard. Later the book got so watered down it was not much left. That is all I know.

Just how bad were they? 10th in drums (semis). 9th in drums (finals). They were almost 1 point below the 8th place percussion finish (.7). Freelancers were 8th that year. JEEZ!!! And in the mid 80's they won it 4 years in a row.

• Like 1

they tied for 4th in 1990 which is like a tie for 5, so you know...