Crossmen 2017

They realized with another camp with another 250 kids that you can make another $25-50k at $100-200 per person...

And you can make even more money if you string an extra 50-100 kids along until April. Edited by WaxDCIFan

300+ just sounds like a big number...most top 12 corps get more than double and even triple or more that number between all there camps....makes me wonder why some non top 12 corps have a hard time filling their roster with all that potential talent out there...there should be some sort of catch basin for all those that don't make the cut....but that idea is probably not practical as I'm sure that a lot of the kids are just going to the corps that the only want to march and don't want to go anywhere else...of course that is speculation on my part as well...

A lot of corps do this. BD is partnered with Pacific Crest (correct me if I'm wrong on that), and BAC just announced a partnership with 7th reg that's similar. 7th has actually had recruiting booths in Boston auditions.

absolutely... I know some corps do this (including at least 1 verrrrrry popular corps right now).

My impression is that Crossmen isn't one of them.

I know of several who got this treatment from Bones last year. Turned loose in April after all the other corps had filed their contracts. Some found alternate spots, but a few just lost the season entirely.

I know of several who got this treatment from Bones last year. Turned loose in April after all the other corps had filed their contracts. Some found alternate spots, but a few just lost the season entirely.

In fairness to all the corps, it must be a balancing act to figure out just how many people to carry through to guarantee a full corps on opening day. Too few and you might end up with holes if people change their minds and don't want to march. Too many, and you need to cut them loose in this unfortunate way. I can imagine a lot of guessing and math goes on and they still don't get it right because things are unpredictable. A corps might have the best intentions, but be expecting more people to leave than do and end up with extras.

I'm not privy to these discussions and calculations, but I can imagine it's not easy.

I know that during the season, the Crossmen had several injuries that required replacements.

Also, the Crossmen are a relatively recent participant in the Top 12. Things are changing for them regarding demand to be in the corps compared to the past.

I know Crossmen give out a lot of contracts in January.

If you don't get one, then you know that you aren't in the corps. There might still be open spaces, in which case you might be able to get one of them in the coming months, depending on the other talent that is available.

If you don't get a contract when everyone else is getting a contract, it is time to look somewhere else if you want to be on the field and don't care which corps.

Now, if they are saying "you're in" and you get the contract and then the corps changes their mind... that is a problem.

Now, if they are saying "you're in" and you get the contract and then the corps changes their mind... that is a problem.

^ This happened last year. I know of at least one musician who was promised a spot in the line but then "let go" in April.

300+ just sounds like a big number...most top 12 corps get more than double and even triple or more that number between all there camps....makes me wonder why some non top 12 corps have a hard time filling their roster with all that potential talent out there...there should be some sort of catch basin for all those that don't make the cut....but that idea is probably not practical as I'm sure that a lot of the kids are just going to the corps that the only want to march and don't want to go anywhere else...of course that is speculation on my part as well...

The higher corps get 300+ in BRASS ALONE, and we know percussion numbers are always 2-3 times higher, lol. With color guard, 3-4 audition camps + video auditions, getting to 1000 shouldn't surprise anyone.

As far as cuts are concerned, the cut members are handed a list of other corps to contact. Naturally, tech staffs have a preference, so a cut kid might hear something like "You should try [this corps] because I know [so-and-so]. They'll teach you right." That kind of conversation happens all the time during a long weekend of auditions. It's important to build relationships with all kids, even the cuts, if possible.

This is not related to Crossmen, but a kid I used to teach tried out for Bluecoats this past weekend in Ohio. He didn't make the call-back but had a very positive experience. The staff recommended that he try out for Blue Stars and offered to pass along his information if he was interested.

He said that the hornline and percussion have call-backs from all camps in Ohio in January and that they finalize all spots plus alternates by the end of that January weekend. The guard is a little different since they don't come back until April.

• Like 1