Crossmen 2017

Straight up cut from Bluecoats, but being told to got to Blue Stars?

Either the Bluecoats have the greatest talent base they've ever had at auditions. Or they are undervaluing the type of auditionee the Blue Stars are looking for.

Not sure why they are recommending Blue Stars. Is there a similarity in the programs?

Straight up cut from Bluecoats, but being told to got to Blue Stars?

Either the Bluecoats have the greatest talent base they've ever had at auditions. Or they are undervaluing the type of auditionee the Blue Stars are looking for.

Sometimes it's as simple as two horn faculty marched together, teach together, or know each other. One tweets the other: "Good camp here, how's it going there?" Reply: "Pretty good here but we still need harmonica players; if you see them, send them." Tweeter 1: "Will do."

Edited by xandandl

Well that's a results-oriented interpretations -- perhaps that meshes well with my intent and perhaps it doesn't.

Fact is a lot high school kids march for or compete against programs that are flat-out better-designed shows; and sometimes those shows might even be better performed than some corps. They can see if a corps matches up with their experience. Granted -- those kids judgement may not be the best informed but they're still making those comparisons.

If a kid watches a program and says -- yeah that's really good, she'll be "willing" to march there. If a kid says "wow XYZ corps can't really march or ZYX corps has a show that is 'dumb', she might not be inclined to march there.

That's what I meant by respect.

if their target is high school kids, and they are content placing in the bottom 6 with quality-but-low-risk programs, I'd concur, and support them 100%. When their high school members make it to a higher-placing corps when they're college age, they should feel very proud. That's a "kids first" approach, puts quality experience over "championship-level everything at all costs."

But egos within admin/staff will expect to be "rewarded" with higher placements, and they'll start heavily recruiting college members...IOW, they'll start doing what every other championship-seeking corps is doing, and then all bets are off, and I go back to my original sentiment.

if their target is high school kids, and they are content placing in the bottom 6 with quality-but-low-risk programs, I'd concur, and support them 100%. When their high school members make it to a higher-placing corps when they're college age, they should feel very proud. That's a "kids first" approach, puts quality experience over "championship-level everything at all costs."

But egos within admin/staff will expect to be "rewarded" with higher placements, and they'll start heavily recruiting college members...IOW, they'll start doing what every other championship-seeking corps is doing, and then all bets are off, and I go back to my original sentiment.

Step A before Step B. And isn't the recruiting base of "college-aged" members really other drum corps? I'm sure there's percentage of "off-the-street" college age members who join but I'd suspect the majority are members who've already marched in another corps.

I'd also point out that college-age marching kids (almost without exception) marched in HS. So when saying "Texas kids" it refers to products of Texas HS programs and not members whose college happens to be in Texas. In the past it seemed the Xmen were missing out on the cream of the crop Texas talent. My comment was simply that perhaps that tide was turning.

I think breaking into and moving up through the bottom six is entirely possible with HS kids as your primary base. You just need to retain a little better each season. Once you've moved high enough you become a destination corps not a transitional corps.

Funny how parts of Crossmen, and I'm sure other corps, don't want to stay in their home state. BK's percussion caption head, much of the perc staff, and a bunch of their MM's come from SoCal and they prefer kids from that area because they can hold perc rehearsals there, where most of them live, between full-corps camps.

Same thing at Crossmen. Much of their perc staff comes from southeast Ohio and they prefer Midwest kids for the same reasons.

Prefer or simply have? Not unusual for "winter kids" to the form the core of a summer line. Prefer would imply they cut based on geography vs. talent. I'm not sure that's really accurate.

^ This happened last year. I know of at least one musician who was promised a spot in the line but then "let go" in April.

Unfortunate, assuming the kid was meeting all the offseason requirements that might be playing / marching / fitness related. Corps should honor their commitment if they are getting the commitment out of the kid.

Crossmen have recently had huge turn outs at auditions. Goes to show you the success of music programs in Tx.

They also had a VERY popular show last year, which also helps! I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next based on that show.

They also had a VERY popular show last year, which also helps! I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next based on that show.

Hard to say when they got rid of their talented visual crew...

Hard to say when they got rid of their talented visual crew...

That is a minus, BUT for me it was the music and flow of the show that did it for me. The visual wasn't what made them special for me.

Thanks for point that out though, as I forgot about that fact.