"It's Time To Get Rid Of Marching Band Halftime Show"

This is not the first time doing away with half time shows has been suggested and for commercial television, this may seem like a good idea for the bottom line, but for the school's the half time show is more important for reasons that have nothing to do with love for the marching arts.

For many alums, going to games is as much about the experience as it is about the game. I know people who attended Boston College and U Mass Amherst who saw half time as a bathroom break and a time to hit the concession stands. They could not have cared less about the band at half time. As alums the BC folks love the Screaming Eagles and sing "For Boston " with tears in their eyes.

Speaking of concessions, eliminate the bands and cut down half time, you cut down sales, especially beer sales since many colleges do not sell beer after the third quarter. This hurts the bottom line.

If it means losing television revenue, schools might eliminate half time shows, but if there is not the threat of losing TV time, the half time shows are here to stay.

• Like 1

I went to Penn State. i dated a Blue Band mellophone player for a while. But I never thought the band was very good.

I hear ya.... they were not even in the Longhorn Band's zip code that day I saw them, to be honest. Good, but the 'Horns.... fantastic.

Edited by Fran Haring

I graduated from an SEC school within the last few years. I've never payed much attention to the TAMU band. Just caught a glimpse of them on the halftime coverage. How is marching in what appears to be riding boots?!? That can't be comfortable.

Color guards used to do it BITD. The guard wore riding boots in the corps I marched in. I don't personally know what it was like because I was in the horn line. Edited by Terri Schehr