Centerville Soaring Sounds - Aug 1

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Well Centerville likes to think of itself as ahead of its time...

Since my brother-in-law's family has moved from Centerville, I don't get there as often. But great memories of some interesting events. I saw Star Wars (the original) there when it first came out. Then there was the time the Cadets stayed there before the houses next to the h.s were built. The cummerbunds and unis were laid out on the fences but the farmer later put the herd in that pasture. Had to fight with the munching cow to retrieve the cummerbunds.... A lot has changed since then.

Soaring Sounds used to be a better event than it is now.  I marched in it with The Cavaliers in 1983 and in those early years of the event the lineups were pretty good.  They would attract the Santa Clara Vanguard, the Spirit of Atlanta, and even the Blue Devils.  At that time their contest coordinator was a sharp guy named Bill Harris who went to DCI every year to make sure at least half of the corps appearing at Soaring Sounds were among last year's DCI Finalists.  Of late in Centerville we'll see maybe three of last year's Finalists along with the Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and maybe the Colts; up and comers but not world beaters.  Last year Centerville had Carolina Crown which was fantastic.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spoonman44 said:

Thanks for setting this up! I'm the guilty party who asked about setting up the thread, but I just discovered the DrumScorps app and thought it would be cool to get things rolling!

Looking forward to any questions or comments on the 38th edition of Centerville's Soaring Sounds!

VWDk0yE.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Well Centerville likes to think of itself as ahead of its time...

Since my brother-in-law's family has moved from Centerville, I don't get there as often. But great memories of some interesting events. I saw Star Wars (the original) there when it first came out. Then there was the time the Cadets stayed there before the houses next to the h.s were built. The cummerbunds and unis were laid out on the fences but the farmer later put the herd in that pasture. Had to fight with the munching cow to retrieve the cummerbunds.... A lot has changed since then.

I actually grew up in the suburb just to the north of Centerville so remember those days of the cows hanging out in the fields opposite the stadium ????.

12 hours ago, Spoonman44 said:

After the success of our inaugural ore show food truck rally last year we are doing it again! Featuring 7 of the Dayton area's finest food trucks, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting the Centerville Band Boosters...

QzepIpS.jpg

Looking at the "portion" of food truck proceeds going to the booster program, wondering where the rest of the proceeds go, and wondering if the show proceeds go to the boosters, too.

13 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Soaring Sounds used to be a better event than it is now.  I marched in it with The Cavaliers in 1983 and in those early years of the event the lineups were pretty good.  They would attract the Santa Clara Vanguard, the Spirit of Atlanta, and even the Blue Devils.  At that time their contest coordinator was a sharp guy named Bill Harris who went to DCI every year to make sure at least half of the corps appearing at Soaring Sounds were among last year's DCI Finalists.  Of late in Centerville we'll see maybe three of last year's Finalists along with the Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and maybe the Colts; up and comers but not world beaters.  Last year Centerville had Carolina Crown which was fantastic.  

I wonder why you make this point.  I don't know Bill Harris or how he could "make sure" (other than by simple observation, if that's what you mean) that the corps in his show were also in finals, but I DO know that the show director (the "contest coordinator", today, is a person assigned by DCI to oversee the production) is NOT, in any way, responsible for the lineup he has in his/her show.  That decision is made specifically, and exclusively, by DCI and the corps themselves with no input what-so-ever from the show's producer except to confirm whether or not the lineup is accepted.  While I'm sure some TEP's shout back at DCI's scheduling team about their lineup, it is widely and clearly known that show line-ups are, mostly, non-negotiable.

The show producer at Centerville is doing much in his power to improve the fan experience at his his show.  Issues raised about the lineup should be directed to DCI, not to the show producer.

12 hours ago, Spoonman44 said:

After the success of our inaugural ore show food truck rally last year we are doing it again! Featuring 7 of the Dayton area's finest food trucks, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting the Centerville Band Boosters...

QzepIpS.jpg

Looking at the "portion" of food truck proceeds going to the booster program, wondering where the rest of the proceeds go, and wondering if the show proceeds go to the boosters, too.

Hi garfield

Yes of course 100% of the profit from the show itself goes to the Centerville Band Boosters as it always has... tickets, traditional concessions, bake sale, programs, sponsorships and the like. The boosters and staff plan the show and staff all volunteers - a big job but we've been doing it for awhile! ???? We also sell the drinks and baked goods in the food truck area so all that profit comes back to us too.

The food trucks donate a % of their net proceeds back to the CBB as well. They are great co marketers and having that event outside our stadium before the show really added to the excitement of the evening...

Want an early preview of The Cavaliers and Men are from Mars? They will be housing with us at Centerville High School tomorrow Thursday July 13 and Friday July 14 - check it out if you're in town!  500 E. Franklin St, Dayton, OH 45459

July 13

12:00pm-4:30pm        Block 1

4:30pm-5:30pm        Dinner

5:30pm-9:00pm        Block 2

July 14

9:00am-12:00pm        Block 1    

12:00pm-1:00pm        Lunch

1:00pm-4:00pm        Block 2

4:00pm-5:00pm        Dinner

5:00pm-8:00pm        Block 3

Edited by Spoonman44

• 2 weeks later...

Information on Housing and Rehearsal Sites for August 1st:

The Cavaliers

Housing and Rehearsal:

Centerville High School

500 E Franklin St

Centerville, OH 45459

Blue Stars

Housing and Rehearsal:

Hadley Watts Middle School

7056 McEwen Rd

Centerville, OH 45459

Mandarins

Housing:

Cline Elementary School

99 Virginia Ave

Centerville, OH 45458

Rehearsal:

Stubbs Park

255 W Spring Valley Pike

Centerville, OH  45458

Colts

Housing:

Dennis Elementary

1695 S Main St

Springboro, OH  45066

Rehearsal:

Springboro HS Soccer Field

1675 S Main St

Springboro, OH  45066

Pacific Crest

Housing:

Van Buren Middle School

3775 Shroyer Rd

Kettering, OH  45429

Rehearsal:

Kettering Fairmont – Foreman Field

(Behind Van Buren MS)

Oregon Crusaders

Housing and Rehearsal:

Bellbrook High School

3737 Upper Bellbrook Rd

Bellbrook, OH  45305

Genesis

Housing and Rehearsal:

Lakota East Freshmen Campus

7630 Bethany Rd

Middletown, OH  45044

Seattle Cascades

Housing and Rehearsal:

Lakota West Freshmen Campus

5050 Tylersville Rd

West Chester, OH  45069

Troopers

Housing and Rehearsal:

Williamsburg High School

500 S. Fifth St

Williamsburg, OH  45176

On 7/10/2017 at 11:34 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

It is sorta my fault lol

I am expecting to see Houston 2018 any day now! 

And I wouldn't complain, BTW.

• Like 1

The Centerville folks run a first class show...as you might expect from their first class band program.

I attended year #1 and many of the years since then.  I remember Mr. Harris and his family were very dedicated to making it a great event. 

The only negative I have to say about this show is I (like many I've heard) hate the seats/bleachers in the stadium!  They're fine if you are 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs.

Too bad the Crossmen aren't coming as this was Andrew Markworth's high school...both as a student and then as a director.

• Like 1