Electronic Amplification

10 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Is amplification to drum corps what PED's are to sports?

Perhaps that's a bit extreme.  There are good uses for amps.  I'm not sure stomping it out is the answer.   But good use of electronics should be rewarded - and poor use recognized in the scoring sheets.   It's up to DCI membership to define what they feel is the best use of their toys.   As fans, we can only hope they sheppard the activity in the right direction.

What are good uses of amps in DCI?  

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Why not just mic the field for every show, same for every corps, and let soloists be mic'd? I know that isn't what the corps doing sampling and feedback want, but so what?

Why?  Drum corps don't need to be amplified, they generate enough tone and dB acoustically to not need any help, no matter the corps.  Worked just fine 10+ years ago, works just fine today!!!

7 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

What are good uses of amps in DCI?  

Off the top of my head - using it in a way that enhances the presentation to the benefit of the audience - such as mic'd soloists, a special feature, an accompaning voice, sound, texture not possible without the use of electronics 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Off the top of my head - using it in a way that enhances the presentation to the benefit of the audience - such as mic'd soloists, a special feature, an accompaning voice, sound, texture not possible without the use of electronics 

Brass instruments don't need to be amp'd.  They are very clear, unless the performer is sub par.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Staring Walter (Jeff Ream) Matthau and Jack (Stu) Lemmon:

hmmm, i've called you moron and putz......so does that make you the guy that runs the fish bait store? Oh wait he dies....never mind

i'll just be grandpa

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with the "far from grumpy" part. "Brutally realistic" would be a better description. LOL

i prefer blunt force trauma reality

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with the "far from grumpy" part. "Brutally realistic" would be a better description. LOL

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i prefer blunt force trauma reality

Jeff just admitted to calling me a moron and a putz... that, um, sounds just like his character played by Matthau in Grumpy Old Men.  Ya can take the man out of the grump, but ya can't take the grump out of the man. :dozingoff:

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hmmm, i've called you moron and putz......so does that make you the guy that runs the fish bait store? Oh wait he dies....never mind

i'll just be grandpa

So you are saying that instead of Matthau you are Grandpa (Burgess Jeff Ream Meredith) Grump.  Ok then.

Amplification HAS ITS PLACE in drum corps. Just not if working in detriment to such a magnificent, pure sound produced by that huge ensemble of talented humans running around behind it all.

Please clean-up the mess that's out there now.

• Like 1