BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

2 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

STOP MAKING THE KIDS RUN AROUND LIKE ANTS AND LET THEM PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT!! I HATE WHAT DRUM CORPS HAS BECOME!!!!!!!!

So stop watching and go fishing instead. 

• Like 1

I think that we are getting close to a place where corps would be willing to reconsider moving back to G bugles - 

reasons to consider:

coolness factor for the MMs - as a trumpet player, it was fun and cool to march sops - it was something different, with a different sound and feel -- this distinct difference might be an attraction to MMs

volume - we've all learned that hornline volume is all about air - moving lots and lots of air -- we took this for granted with  bugles - switch to straight bore trumpets where it's harder to move air and we found out.... it's easier to have full rich tone and volume on conical bore bugles than on Bb trumpets...huh!?

cost/money - the Bb experiment has run its course - there are no benefits to using normal keyed brass instruments - specialized bugles sound better and better adapted for marching. Corps have not saved money by purchasing lines of standard yamaha or other make trumpets, mellos, baris, euphs and tubas. Instrument manufacturers can be found in Taiwan/China to make perfectly suitable bugles - or even better, instrument makers here in the states could build the instruments - it comes down to money - can a corps get several years out of bugles vs. one year out of mass marketed marching brass? We should be looking for multi year use out of horns - not a single year -- that is not sustainable or good stewardship. Why are so many corps selling their horns after one year of use?

The big issue is sound -- we've learned that Bb instruments are not as full/loud/rich as bugles -- we can't compensate by using electronics - it doesn't always work and isn't practical -- switch to G bugles and a glorious day will dawn in our activity again! Peace, joy and harmony will return. Lions will lay down with lambs, children will toodle with serpents and even Bluecoats fans and Blue Devils fans will be on good terms -- it just takes a return to the glorious richness we know as G bugle horn lines.

• Like 5

It is hard to tell if this OP person is being serious, but there is no reason to return to these instruments to get loud. There are plenty of loud horn lines in contemporary drum corps that are superior in every way in tone quality and intonation than any from the bugle days.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Just Here said:

It is hard to tell if this OP person is being serious, but there is no reason to return to these instruments to get loud. There are plenty of loud horn lines in contemporary drum corps that are superior in every way in tone quality and intonation than any from the bugle days.

I'm absolutely serious. Also to your second point you're dead wrong. Compare "loudness" of corps on finals night to what it was thirty years ago. 

• Like 1

As ANY respected brass instructor will tell you, it is better to be in tune and have good tone quality than it is to simply be loud for its own sake. Go ahead and ask them: Which would you rather have, a horn line that is loud with low brass instruments that sound like air plane engines with a rassspppy sound or one that is a LITTLE softer that plays in tune and has fantastic tone quality?

Edited by Just Here

4 minutes ago, Just Here said:

As ANY respected brass instructor will tell you, it is better to be in tune and have good tone quality than it is to simply be loud for its own sake. Go ahead and ask them: Which would you rather have, a horn line that is loud with low brass instruments that sound like air plane engines with a rassspppy sound or one that is a LITTLE softer that plays in tune and has fantastic tone quality?

Oh I didn't realize that tonality wasn't judged 30 years ago

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I have a few Gs in my arsenal...one day not long ago my kid was practicing on his corps Bb when he stopped, pulled the 2V G sop off the shelf and began playing again. Great tone and volume too. Two minutes later....

"OMG Dad this is awesome! Why did they ever get rid of these??" 

He is a wise Jedi Padawan.

not surprised - 

truth - 

would love to hear any top 12 horn line play their show on G bugles -- 

• Like 5