BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

I'm in the twilight zone if you are suggesting that from a more objective point of view, you are suggesting that the tone quality and intonation of horn lines from thirty years ago is as good as it is today. If this is what you are actually suggestion, I am no longer responding.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Just Here said:

As ANY respected brass instructor will tell you, it is better to be in tune and have good tone quality than it is to simply be loud for its own sake. Go ahead and ask them: Which would you rather have, a horn line that is loud with low brass instruments that sound like air plane engines with a rassspppy sound or one that is a LITTLE softer that plays in tune and has fantastic tone quality?

I don't know . . . . those old Hy Dreitzer-arranged, New York Skyliners lines were rather stunning to say the least.

• Like 6

Just now, Just Here said:

I'm in the twilight zone if you are suggesting that from a more objective point of view, you are suggesting that the tone quality and intonation of horn lines from thirty years ago is as good as it is today. If this is what you are actually suggestion, I am no longer responding.

I'm not even really arguing that. The activity is dying and in my mind the downward trend started around when the switch happened and as more of these electronics are incorporated into shows that trend will only continue, mark my words

• Like 2

Just now, Just Here said:

Ok. You are allowed this to have and even present this very simplistic opinion, but there is no empirical data that really supports it.

No data to support it? How many corps are folding or even competing in world class these days? Take the blinders off friend

If I were to speculate along your lines, I would suggest that the "dying" has to do much more with the money needed (wanted) in order to feel one could compete. Also, one must also consider the financial mismanagement that caused many corps to fold.

To take THE cause to the loss of bugles and the addition of synthesizers is terrible logic as electronic means have been used in all kinds of music types for decades and its influence in pop culture has only grown with time and acceptance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Here said:

If I were to speculate along your lines, I would suggest that the "dying" has to do much more with the money needed (wanted) in order to feel one could compete. Also, one must also consider the financial mismanagement that caused many corps to fold.

To take THE cause to the loss of bugles and the addition of synthesizers is terrible logic as electronic means have been used in all kinds of music types for decades and its influence in pop culture has only grown with time and acceptance.

To your first point, why do you think corps don't have enough money to field a show anymore? The activity as a whole isn't generating as much money so there is less to go around especially for those who don't make finals. Connect the dots

As for your second point, pop music these days is an abomination. This only makes me hate the synthesizer even more as it is a tool recording executives have used to bastardize music even further

Edited by GlassmenBtone
  • Like 1

Ok...let's take your logic about pop music. Wouldn't it be true that if the acceptance of synthesized music has increased in the culture at large that more people would be attracted to such music in the drum corps medium?

So, let's go back to logic about your first point. What you would have to demonstrate to validate this opinion about money is that less people are attending show now than they did then. This does not seem to be the trend over all.