A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

16 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Those outfits are no more crazy than what we see on Broadway or in other types of theater and cinema.

Well, that might be the point. There are those who think that Drum Corp should be Drum Corps. Not Broadway, theater, or cinema. It's historically a music and marching activity that has been taken over by those who don't seem very interested in music or marching.

4 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

Well, that might be the point. There are those who think that Drum Corp should be Drum Corps. Not Broadway, theater, or cinema. It's historically a music and marching activity that has been taken over by those who don't seem very interested in music or marching.

Eh, I'll take a stab at disagreement with that. It's about an overall entertainment package. Look at Cirque du Soleil; originally was an actual traditional circus, has added much of the things debated about in this exact thread, and has since gone on to be one of the premier forms of live entertainment worldwide. I'm sure there's some traditional tightrope walkers and jugglers who say "that's not real circus", and arguably they're right, but to the larger audience it's just a more entertaining product.

Drum corps is expensive, and tickets pay those bills. I guess that final sentence could also read "....has been taken over by those who want to keep the lights on."

3 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

Yeah, that's what I actually meant to say.  

I may have to tender your services as an interpreter, because it's more than apparent I speak a different language than some of these folks.

3 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Eh, I'll take a stab at disagreement with that. It's about an overall entertainment package. Look at Cirque du Soleil; originally was an actual traditional circus, has added much of the things debated about in this exact thread, and has since gone on to be one of the premier forms of live entertainment worldwide. I'm sure there's some traditional tightrope walkers and jugglers who say "that's not real circus", and arguably they're right, but to the larger audience it's just a more entertaining product.

Drum corps is expensive, and tickets pay those bills. I guess that final sentence could also read "....has been taken over by those who want to keep the lights on."

by selling the souls of everyone involved to the Devil.

No.  Unacceptable.

And trying to market drum corps as a musical activity, when the music is being aggressively and shamelessly sidelined by interpretive dance and transcendental spirituality isn't going to fly much longer.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

3 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

by selling the souls of everyone involved to the Devil.

No.  Unacceptable.

:spitting:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Yeah, that's what I actually meant to say.  

I may have to tender your services as an interpreter, because it's more than apparent I speak a different language than some of these folks.

Ha. I get where you're coming from. I really do. But it's a hard thing to convey. I'm just glad you're here, because I'm usually the grumpiest guy in the room. But not today. :16_relieved:

Your posts on Bugles and Amplification were exactly on point. Well done.

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Disturbing?  Well good.  You SHOULD be disturbed.  You SHOULD be disturbed that entire drum corps are wearing spandex and lycra color guard outfits.  Because that SHOULD tell you exactly where Drum Corps International's priorities currently lie.

WOW?????????????????????????????? Only thing disturbed appears to be YOU.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

WOW?????????????????????????????? Only thing disturbed appears to be YOU.

No, don't try to isolate me and make me feel like the odd duck out here.  Thousands of people hate the push towards corps-wide winter guard outfits.  That's well documented on this site, as well as on reddit.  And that's only the thousands who have expressed their disdain for them publicly.  There's nothing 'kewl' about corps-wide bodysuits, there's nothing innovative about them, there's nothing inspiring about them.  They're sparkly pajamas.  Nothing more.  And they're a slap in the face of good taste.  Not to mention a slap in the face of 40 to 80 years of tradition.

You can't sit there and try to say that DCI isn't being sabotaged and subverted by WGI and BOA, when they're taking active measures to take the very worst aspects of those activities and shoehorn them into drum corps.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

3 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

No, don't try to isolate me and make me feel like the odd duck out here.  Thousands of people hate the push towards corps-wide winter guard outfits.  That's well documented on this site, as well as on reddit.  There's nothing 'kewl' about them, there's nothing innovative about them, there's nothing inspiring about them.  They're sparkly pajamas.  Nothing more.  And they're a slap in the face of good taste.  Not to mention 40 to 80 years of tradition.

You can't sit there and try to say that DCI isn't being sabotaged and subverted by WGI and BOA, when they're taking active measures to take the very worst aspects of those activities and shoehorn them into drum corps.

Yeah the activity is going downhill LOL. Your words speak millions. I think it is YOU that has the problem.

LOL sabotaged? Time to change your tin foil helmet.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

You're enamored with and under the spell of George Hopkins, and you're going to love whatever George Hopkins tells you to love.

Even George Hopkins doesn't seem enamored of where DCI had gone.

Really, though, try not to go all Louise Mensch. More facts less opinion will help your case.

• Like 1