A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ironically, Star '93 was displeasing to many fans at the time. In fact, for some portion of the audience, 1993 was a year of unpleasant music and needlessly dark shows. I believe there were long screeds to that effect in Drum Corps World or other outlets. (Basing this on my memory of an article in one of the drum corps history books.) Although lots of fans loved Star's show and others.

Star 93 at the time was loved or hated.....no middle ground. I hated it at first. It's grown on me since

1 minute ago, ouooga said:

To be fair, the first time I ever saw a senior corps was the Renegades, who did immediately hop onto their bus post show and start drinking.

they were an outlier. Even my first year of marching in DCA, 1989 the tide was starting to change. 

4 minutes ago, ouooga said:

To be fair, the first time I ever saw a senior corps was the Renegades, who did immediately hop onto their bus post show and start drinking.

As it happens, the first DCA show I attended was the 2012 Finals (intrigued by some posts to these forums, as it happens), and the first show in that night's lineup that sold me on the idea that DCA corps could really be as enjoyable as DCI corps was the Renegades' performance.

And then that night they trashed their hotel rooms, got banned from DCA for a year, and essentially shut down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As it happens, the first DCA show I attended was the 2012 Finals (intrigued by some posts to these forums, as it happens), and the first show in that night's lineup that sold me on the idea that DCA corps could really be as enjoyable as DCI corps was the Renegades' performance.

And then that night they trashed their hotel rooms, got banned from DCA for a year, and essentially shut down.

I believe this qualifies as taking the corps name a little too seriously.

19 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

But I draw the line at the what it has become in recent years.  I don't enjoy it, I don't appreciate it, I don't recognize its educational or artistic value, and I don't endorse it.

I hope yelling at clouds makes you feel better, at least, because based on this and your other posts, there's no reasoned discourse to be had. 

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

He's long-winded, but there's plenty of thoughtful commentary amid that ranting.

Exactly. Mr. Collins is making a very solid argument to support his belief various mistakes have been made by the "adults in the room." Nothing wrong with being analytical, and having the writing skills to clearly communicate one's findings. This kind of discourse is becoming a lost art. Mr. Collins' contributions are most worthy. I agree with many of his conclusions.

But  . . . . .

watching all this on Flo right now, I seem to find new things to enjoy with every new telecast. Drum corps was, and still is, rich in value to our culture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

I hope yelling at clouds makes you feel better, at least, because based on this and your other posts, there's no reasoned discourse to be had. 

Mike

Now don't run off and take your ball home when you can't refute my points.  I am just as passionate about drum corps as you appear to be, but if all you want to do is troll when you can't form a cogent rebuttal, then I'm going to treat you like a troll.  And I don't think anyone would begrudge me for doing so.  

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Now don't run off and take your ball home when you can't refute my points.  I am just as passionate about drum corps as you appear to be, but if all you want to do is troll when you can't form a cogent rebuttal, then I'm going to treat you like a troll.  And I don't think anyone would begrudge me for doing so.  

Actually the best move always, if you think someone is trolling--and I don't think that Mike was--is to ignore him and move on. Nobody is obliged to explain themselves here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Actually the best move always, if you think someone is trolling--and I don't think that Mike was--is to ignore him and move on. Nobody is obliged to explain themselves here.

You know, you make a good point.

It's a shame though.  I hate to see vets buy in to snake oil.