Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ok. It took me a lot longer than the past few Bloo years (I'm usually hooked right away), but I'm finally on board with the show. There's a ton of energy and a spectacular visual package --- never doubted that at all --- just haven't been all the way on board with the music yet. Now that I've familiarized myself with the source material and realize how well their music book has been put together, I'm all in. It just took a bit of research and a few rewatches to absorb & appreciate all that's happening musically. I will say that "Session 44" doesn't initially read as musically audience-friendly as the last four years or so --- let me add a bold-print caveat of *initially*, meaning the one fresh chance an audience member has to take in the entire show for the first, and often only, time. It took a bit of digging and a few rewatches to really get into it for me ---- something I haven't been used to doing the last few years when they grab you right away and leave you humming various earworms after they've finished performing.

The opener is complex as hell, I think much more so than the last two years especially where the openers were so melodic you could pretty much hum along. But I'm embracing that change; it's tons of notes coming at you nonstop, and I appreciate the challenge they're giving themselves in the first few minutes.

Now that I've familiarized myself now with Saro, I've gotta say, Bloo's rendition of it is pretty #### magical. Again, I feel like this ballad is different than the hummable Hymn of Acxiom, Woods, Great Gig...this one is more about the chord progressions and the ethereal mood it creates as opposed to an earworm ballad. And I like that, a lot. It's a different approach for Bloo, and the mood the corps creates in Saro is just...uplifting, wistful, moving, almost mournful...seriously perfect. Almost the manifestation of what Grow Till Tall always wanted to be but never quite was.

And now that I've listened to the original Dry Cleaner From Des Moines a few times, Bloo's arrangement of it is pretty spectacular, not to mention dripping with authenticity. It goes without saying that the singer is beyond talented.

So, my early season thoughts on the show are that it's obviously gold medal worthy, and is yet another stellar, top-notch creation from the staff at Bluecoats. The music book is unquestionably a solid step up in complexity from the last few years. It doesn't get in your head right away; however, now that I've given my brain a few chances to absorb all that's going on, there's so much fantastic stuff happening. Just a deeper music book that takes a few listens to really get into.  I truly appreciate the step out of the comfort zone the music designers took this year; this is a deep & challenging music book that sends the corps into new territory and should turn out to be another one for the books by the season's end.

Only thing I disagree on is SARO not being hummable. I have to warn you. After the 4th or 5th viewing, I developed a serious problem where I just can't stop humming it. It's a real problem.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Matches my thoughts perfectly. Took me some listens to get into it as well, but man they outdid themselves this year. I've always been outspoken against singing in DCI, but I really can't imagine this show without it. 

Bloo has always seem to find the best use of electronics, with staging, note manipulation, and now singing. 

• Like 1

Best show of the year comes from Canton, I'm not a fan of jazz or singers, but Bloo has it right. West coast fans are singing SCV's praises (even BD fans), they will be disapointed come mid July.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Best show of the year comes from Canton, I'm not a fan of jazz or singers, but Bloo has it right. West coast fans are singing SCV's praises (even BD fans), they will be disapointed come mid July.

They’re both great shows. My guess is they’re both top 2. I know BD is right there, but Bloo and SCV seem a notch above this year.

2 hours ago, NCWVUFAN said:

It's not just west coast fans. It's ok to be proud of a group for doing something they haven't done in a very long time like SCV beating BD. Don't be making these bold claims now. Many people make those mistakes and end up eating their own words... both SCV and the Bluecoats have fantastic programs with championship quality productions.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

It's not just west coast fans. It's ok to be proud of a group for doing something they haven't done in a very long time like SCV beating BD. Don't be making these bold claims now. Many people make those mistakes and end up eating their own words... both SCV and the Bluecoats have fantastic programs with championship quality productions.

SCV is very strong, I agree, and may just win it all in august. Just the talk of Bloo not being in the running from some fans chanting SCV and BD then whoever for the bronze is a bit shortsighted.

• Like 1

Just now, NCWVUFAN said:

SCV is very strong, I agree, and may just win it all in august. Just the talk of Bloo not being in the running from some fans chanting SCV and BD then whoever for the bronze is a bit shortsighted.

I agree about that. BD is definitely not a lock like they have been in years past. And that's ok. Just like it's ok if neither SCV or Bluecoats win. It's all about the entertainment. All of the top 6 have entertaining shows in their own regards and it's such a treat for the fans to enjoy. I hope the bluecoats do really well this year. I love the show (especially all the mello moments) and it's definitely my favorite program from them since tilt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, superOOk said:

Only thing I disagree on is SARO not being hummable. I have to warn you. After the 4th or 5th viewing, I developed a serious problem where I just can't stop humming it. It's a real problem.

Agree. I have been humming it a lot-did see /hear it a few times prior to it infecting the part of my brain where music gets stuck on repeat.

Edited by Forevergreen