2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's not an issue as I've said elsewhere because of one simple fact:

DCA judges hold numbers for x amount of corps....then can go back and adjust as they need in those blocks. so if they're on first and a judge says 82/81, and after seeing 3 corps that may not be as good or fit that criteria on the sheet and CT should be higher, that judge can go back and make their number and 84/83 or whatever.

The old days of appearance order being life or death literally means nothing now. We've seen it at DCi shows using the TOC system where BD goes on like 3rd, and still wins, and doesnt see their number shift drastically from the day before.

So there should be no more complaints ever again about numbers management, right? Because any tie would have to be a deliberate decision by the judge, not a case of failing to leave enough room for a subsequent corps to score.

12 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

You're correct you don't know the rules. DCA will accept the highest score from a DCI show on DCA sheets or a DCA show for seeding. Sooooooo as long as CT bring DCA sheets to a DCI show, get judged they're in line with the current DCA rules. Since shows were cancelled for whatever reason, there was a plan in place to protect themselves and it played out just fine. 

I'm confused. CT was scored at a number of DCI shows. Are you saying that they could have brought DCA sheets to those shows but chose not to do so?

5 minutes ago, camel lips said:

You do realize that the people posting on social media are doing so because they don't feel the pressure of the bully mentality here  and the ever present hints of banishment?? 

There are plenty of people on social media that have a clue that won't waste a keystroke on this place but contribute their thoughts never the less. I don't see you chiming in alot over there because you don't have your protection.

The ever-present possibility of banishment for bad behavior helps keep conversations civil, and that's a good thing.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm confused. CT was scored at a number of DCI shows. Are you saying that they could have brought DCA sheets to those shows but chose not to do so?

I said they DID bring DCA sheets. They bring DCA sheets to all the DCI shows. They get great feedback, a score and some dollars to take home too. 

Why did the Finals announcer, for about two-thirds of the scores, say "with no penalties"?

That led to speculation in the audience that the other corps, for whom he didn't say that, actually had received penalties.

But looking at the recaps, I see that wasn't the case.

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I said they DID bring DCA sheets. They bring DCA sheets to all the DCI shows. They get great feedback, a score and some dollars to take home too. 

Well, here's why I'm confused.

You wrote: "DCA will accept the highest score from a DCI show on DCA sheets or a DCA show for seeding."

Does that mean that CT's score of 69.85 at Dublin on 7/31 was in fact used for seeding at Prelims?

Because prior to championship weekend, and even following Prelims three days ago, several people said that CT was seeded last on the basis of having no DCA score, not on the basis of CT having the lowest DCA score.*

As far as I know, nobody here contradicted those assertions until your post right now.

And I know in the past that it's been said on these forums many times that corps in the south, midwest, or west coast have gone to the extra trouble of getting a DCA panel specifically so that they would have an eligible score for championship seeding.

Which doesn't you're wrong. It's just that your new information flies in the face of everything I've previously heard about this subject and I'd like to know more.

*For instance, Fran, responding to a CorpsScores tweet that read "Interested to check later whether a last-place seed has ever finished first. Tradition did it today", wrote in the Prelims thread, "LOL!!!  Only reason they were a 5th seed is that they had no scores from a DCA-sanctioned show this summer."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, camel lips said:

You do realize that the people posting on Social Media are doing so because they don't feel the pressure of the bully mentality here  and the ever present hints of banishment?? 

There are plenty of people on Social Media that have a clue that won't waste a keystroke on this place but contribute their thoughts never the less. I don't see you chiming in alot over there because you don't have your protection. 

bullying on social media far outpaces anything on DCp in it's entire history and quite frankly makes the glory days of RAMD look tame. one can look right to the twitter in chief for proof of that.

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, here's why I'm confused.

You wrote: "DCA will accept the highest score from a DCI show on DCA sheets or a DCA show for seeding."

Does that mean that CT's score of 69.85 at Dublin on 7/31 was in fact used for seeding at Prelims?

Because prior to championship weekend, and even following Prelims three days ago, several people said that CT was seeded last on the basis of having no DCA score, not on the basis of CT having the lowest DCA score.*

As far as I know, nobody here contradicted those assertions until your post right now.

And I know in the past that it's been said on these forums many times that corps in the south, midwest, or west coast have gone to the extra trouble of getting a DCA panel specifically so that they would have an eligible score for championship seeding.

Which doesn't you're wrong. It's just that your new information flies in the face of everything I've previously heard about this subject and I'd like to know more.

*For instance, Fran, responding to a CorpsScores tweet that read "Interested to check later whether a last-place seed has ever finished first. Tradition did it today", wrote in the Prelims thread, "LOL!!!  Only reason they were a 5th seed is that they had no scores from a DCA-sanctioned show this summer."

I'll do my best to help you see your way clear. Yes! DCA sheets were used at all DCI shows CT performed. Dublin was their seeding score for prelims. 

In other words, it doesn't matter if you attend a DCA show so long as you have been judged on DCA sheets either at a DCI and/or DCA show. Your seeding score is the highest score on DCA sheets regardless if it's at a DCI or DCA show.

It's not uncommon for DCI judges to judge DCA corps lower at DCI shows. Usually you can add about 12 points to a DCI judged DCA sheet score and get an equivalent if you were judged at a DCA show. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So there should be no more complaints ever again about numbers management, right? Because any tie would have to be a deliberate decision by the judge, not a case of failing to leave enough room for a subsequent corps to score.

very rarely. Now if someone has all kinds of ties, even with the option of holding numbers, then yeah, I can see some complaints, which is pretty much the only time I say anything anymore.

16 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why did the Finals announcer, for about two-thirds of the scores, say "with no penalties"?

That led to speculation in the audience that the other corps, for whom he didn't say that, actually had received penalties.

But looking at the recaps, I see that wasn't the case.

Fran...care to answer why an announcer would have said such a thing?