Phantom's last 10 sec's of Finals show.....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the wedge and leg kick were in most of the year i believe.  but they added a longer power chord to the end of the show, which really set everybody off!

Nope. The show always ended in a tight formation, but not the same wedge you saw Finals week. That wedge, along with the leg kick, were added a couple days before Finals week, performed for the first time at Quarters.

This is probably going to get lost in this thread...but hopefully some people can give some feedback on this--

I was at Madison in 1992 to witness firsthand the VK surprise for finals night. If you listen to the CD or watch the vid, right after the "fat lady" sings (which the crowd is by chance QUIET during), the shark comes out right as the whole corps does the two Duuuuuuh Duh notes....and you can practically hear the heads of all the spectators look to side 1, realize a shark was coming as they realize they just heard the VK trademark Jaws theme, and the crowd sort of does this spontaneous "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhh!!!" and then...when that shark hits the fat lady and (excuse me) eats her, the crowd just ERUPTS!! Now, I was there...and it was unreal.

I saw the clip on my crappy ### computer here at work, and even with this equipment, could feel the intensity of the Phantom moment this past season. I can only imagine what it was like in person!

So....since people are sort of hinting at it, is Phantom now the new winner of the Best Crowd Response Ever at DCI Finals?

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

It was pretty intense. I didn't hear the final chord resolve on any of the three nights. But then again, I went ape-#### myself!

I wasn't at Buffalo in 1995 so I can't really compare, but the video of Madison Scouts' '95 ending is pretty crazy. Or even Scouts '97. I couldn't hear the end of that show (perhaps it was bad sound recording?).

Anyway, those are the two other most intense endings I can come up with, and I was at neither live.

Anyone who was at all 3, what do you think?

Edited by TomMoore

Nope. The show always ended in a tight formation, but not the same wedge you saw Finals week. That wedge, along with the leg kick, were added a couple days before Finals week, performed for the first time at Quarters.

But it wasn't the wedge and the kick that made it special. It was the fact that PR ended on a dissonant chord all season long, a chord that worked but made the audience think "WTF? What kind of ending was that?"

And then they added an extra note in the "ending" at Quarters, and we all realized that we were finally going to get our resolution. The leg kick just delayed the gratification 8 more counts.

That's why we went nuts. It was chordal, not visual.

OK, This is really bugging me. I didn't get to see Phantom at all this year until seeing the clip on live.dci.com. How were they ending it thru the season, and when did they add the wedge and the leg kick?!?!?

When I saw them, they always ended in a very tight group....like 2000. After the cut-off, the entire corps did this little thingy with their horns....to the left, then out to the right, then extend the arm straight up. It was very effective I thought, I couldn't tell if they were still doing that at finals though...

BTW: has anyone gotten that clip to work on a Mac yet?

Well, I was there for Madison 95 & 97, as well as PR this year. I'd put both Madison 95 & PR 03 ahead of Madison 97 in terms of crowd response to ending, but I'd have a hard time seperating Madison 95 & PR 03. Madison's end of show response was longer, but PR's may have been louder & more intense. Hard to say. Both were just incredible moments that I will cherish forever.

Harvey Phelps