Sign the Petition

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The DCI policy manual...isn't for public consumption.

If DCI was a privately owned For-Profit business I would be fine with the policy manual being considered as proprietary information and not for public consumption. However, DCI is a 501c3 Tax-Exempt Charitable Non-Profit which oversees youth activities. As such, keeping policies concerning matters such as the one addressed in this thread secretive and away from public access is not wise and rather counterproductive.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Or the guilty appeal to their superiors who help to cover it up, or they higher former Mossad agents to dig up dirt on the accusers, or...

Fortunately there's not enough money in DCI that people will go to those lengths to protect the guilty.

but a good attorney can get a plea deal with the ability to expunge the record after a certain period of time

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

49 pages and people still don't realize that these matters need to be handled confidentially others the liability of lawsuits from false accusations would have the potential to destroy corps and DCI.  Not much more that really can be done...

worse...as we see in the news daily now, accusations from years gone by can come up and cause a ton of issues

1 hour ago, Stu said:

We have to be very careful not to engage in, or promote, false accusations; innocent people are to be protected from having reputations damaged. But to say that the actual 'corporate policy' must be handled in confidentiality is exactly the type of policy mentality which propeled the Catholic Church into hot water.

yes.....and no. if accusations are made publicly, and turn out to be untrue....lawsuits galore. As someone once falsely accused, had it gone public, my lawyer would have made me a lot of money

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

If DCI was a privately owned For-Profit business I would be fine with the policy manual being considered as proprietary information and not for public consumption. However, DCI is a 501c3 Tax-Exempt Charitable Non-Profit which oversees youth activities. As such, keeping policies concerning matters such as the one addressed in this thread secretive and away from public access is not wise and rather counterproductive.

yes.....and no.

Should there be some openness? probably. Does DCI need to publish everything given how many on here nitpick #### to death, and often infer their own beliefs into things published or said?

No.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes.....and no. if accusations are made publicly, and turn out to be untrue....lawsuits galore. As someone once falsely accused, had it gone public, my lawyer would have made me a lot of money

That seems unlikely in the typical case.  Taking someone to court for something like this can cost a fortune.  And it would likely bring even more attention to the incident and associate your name with it in some people's minds even if you win, and in most people minds if you lose.  

And who are you going to sue?  The accuser, who is just a child?  The family, who isn't likely to have much money and has already suffered from the incident?  The school, who had a duty to investigate and take the matter seriously, and could have faced a poop storm for not taking the word of the accuser?  The media, who knows exactly how to print such things within the technical boundaries of the law, and has access to 100 times the legal firepower you do?

Just now, skevinp said:

That seems unlikely in the typical case.  Taking someone to court for something like this can cost a fortune.  And it would likely bring even more attention to the incident and associate your name with it in some people's minds even if you win, and in most people minds if you lose.  

And who are you going to sue?  The accuser, who is just a child?  The family, who isn't likely to have much money and has already suffered from the incident?  The school, who had a duty to investigate and take the matter seriously, and could have faced a poop storm for not taking the word of the accuser?  The media, who knows exactly how to print such things within the technical boundaries of the law, and has access to 100 times the legal firepower you do?

DCi gets multiple false accusations a year. Some it turns out are people with axes to grind. If DCi released this information, DCI itself could get sued.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes.....and no.

Should there be some openness? probably. Does DCI need to publish everything given how many on here nitpick #### to death, and often infer their own beliefs into things published or said?

No.

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCi gets multiple false accusations a year. Some it turns out are people with axes to grind. If DCi released this information, DCI itself could get sued.

And none of that is relevant to my position. Of course accusations should stay sealed, and convictions can be looked up in the various public records. I stated that 'the official policy' of the corporation concerning the process of how situations are to be handled should be made public, not the accusations which many turn out to be false.

Edited by Stu