The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Indy Star is who did the first Larry Nasser investigation (USA Gymnastics).  Their reporters understand the issues very well.

Ball game. They'll know how to proceed on the human dimension. Thankfully, the tax returns are all online these days which gives reporters a head start on financial aspects that may be of interest in parsing systemic abuses.

15 minutes ago, GeorgiaGirl said:

Haven't logged in here in many years, and probably won't be back again. Make no mistake; this is an exponentially bigger public relations nightmare than gymnastics, Penn State, or that Schneider guy at Nickelodeon.

One thought: It would be very wise for someone to check the social media accounts of a number of people, and download/archive everything, because those will very likely be scrubbed soon.

My educated guess is that there are certain civil authorities doing just that as we speak. They don't fool around.

17 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

Yes, I joined recently because I see THIS issue is serious... we could argue all day about amps or no amps, 2 or 3 valves... but this involves everyone.  I love drum corps and don't want to see it vanish or be vanquished.  My point is that actions by corps are going to be under so much more scrutiny than before, not just by DCI or the directors, but by parents, spectators, community members, sponsors.  Everyone involved should think before acting... is this the image I want to represent our activity?

Don't be so sure about what you think is certain to happen.  More attention to this issue began several years ago - existing corps beefed up their best practices and new corps were subject to the realities from their very beginning.

This is not a time-bomb for the activity.

Ohio State still has a wonderful music program and Penn State still plays football (so I hear, I don't follow them).

This explosion really is likely to be a single, ancient unexploded bomb that needed just the right set of circumstances to set it off.

That doesn't mean the field is littered with them, all ready to go off because of this one.

IMO anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

So, you think it is standard operating procedure to expect guys to be pressed for favors by instructors?

I think the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain, Jaffo.

But I've never been to Spain.

But I kinda like the Music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

So, you think it is standard operating procedure to expect guys to be pressed for favors by instructors?

It's not SOP for anyone in any corps to be pressed for anything by staff, or management.

• Like 4

DCI's first task when reassembling to address what has happened with the Cadets is to appoint an ombudsman to which any corps member can report alleged abuse by someone on the corps staff.  Each corps, of course, should have the same position, but allowing someone completely outside the corps to be "in the know" from the start will be a second layer of protection/investigation.  More importantly, though, it will further discourage the types of behaviors that GH has allegedly committed.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, drummergirl said:

Agree that it makes sense in the activity, however they are just now switching to that schedule. Why haven’t they had that schedule prior to now?

As my HS kids go: "Duh-Duh-Duhhhh".  Lol

Dunno.  Could be just another crazy business decision to try.