The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

42 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

A lot could happen here. It's hard to say how things will shake out. Saving US Bands is a big deal. If that falls apart then YEA may well be history. The alumni of The Cadets (Garfield/Holy Name) could easily take control of the D&BC and move operations back to New Jersey. Once the BOD is forced to step down, as I believe will happen, the present CEO and Director will need to move with efficiency and speed to put in place new plans for future success -- hopefully with the help of alumni. 

Agreed, a lot could happen and it's important that those currently responsible for running YEA act quickly to get things moving in the right direction again. But I do believe that the only way an alumni group or any other ownership group could acquire the Cadets at this point would be 1) if YEA decides to sell them, or 2) if YEA goes under. It would be interesting to see if things really go south with YEA because of what's happened and perhaps a new organization is created to take its place with a different name. Basically, the Cadets and USBands (plus C2 and other programs) under a new parent organization with a different name.

23 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

The revolving door at YEA still going around and around. 

Think of it as more of a fan at this point in time.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Florida Sun said:

my question is how will th city of Allentown react to the Cadets being on the front page of news papers all across the country ?Still with  open arms ,or here's the door get out .

The question that every newspaper in America and Canada is asking now is "Does this town have one of these drum corps things?" That and "How do we track down the victimized alumna?"

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Agreed, a lot could happen and it's important that those currently responsible for running YEA act quickly to get things moving in the right direction again. But I do believe that the only way an alumni group or any other ownership group could acquire the Cadets at this point would be 1) if YEA decides to sell them, or 2) if YEA goes under. It would be interesting to see if things really go south with YEA because of what's happened and perhaps a new organization is created to take its place with a different name. Basically, the Cadets and USBands (plus C2 and other programs) under a new parent organization with a different name.

Well, they basically reorganized twice under GH's tenure. The brand and product would have some value to the right people I'd think if everything got that bad. Somehow, I think this will somehow resolve itself in a better fashion than some think. I'm not buying the hellfire/doomsday/extinction event scenarios being put out there. It's more than a bit extreme.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The question that every newspaper in America and Canada is asking now is "Does this town have one of these drum corps things?" 

And of course the simple answer to that question for " every newspaper in America and  Canada " ( or 99% of' em ) is..... " no "

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, year1buick said:

there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old.”

Heck, I've dealt with people younger than that who display more sensibility and logic than folks three times their age. That comment's silly, to put it mildly.

The focus is on George Hopkins and the Cadets at the moment, but digging deeper, why wouldn't we also look at corps like Carolina Crown -their entire centerpiece was Roxanne, where they dressed the guard as prostitutes, even feigning a sex scene on the table as the stagecoach passed by just in time to leave a little bit to the imagination.  Is it possible that the show themes themselves are part of the issue.. promoting a culture where inappropriate behaviors are condoned by staff members?  Look at Crown's trumpet section from 2016, the Roxanne year... singing some pretty lewd lyrics in Military Park.  It seems well-rehearsed, meaning it was probably done many times over the season and deemed OK by staff members?  If we say, "Oh well, that's just how they get hyped up."  OK, so there is no other way to do this than by shouting out, "me so horny"?  George may be bearing the brunt of this at the moment, but it is going to be up to all of us to take a closer look at what type of image we want corps and DCI to carry forward.