Bill Watrous RIP

William Russell Watrous III (June 8, 1939 – July 2, 2018) was an American jazz trombonist. He is perhaps best known by casual fans of jazz music for his rendition of Sammy Nestico's arrangement of the Johnny Mandel ballad "A Time for Love," which he recorded on a 1993 album of the same name. A self-described "bop-oriented" player, he was well known among fellow trombonists as a master technician and for his mellifluous sound.

What an amazing loss?

• Thanks 3

Tiger of San Pedro.  Bill Watrous’ trombone solo is stupendous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Tiger of San Pedro.  Bill Watrous’ trombone solo is stupendous.

I will always go back to The Guardsmen and their performance of this chart.  A true Drum Corps favorite of mine.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I will always go back to The Guardsmen and their performance of this chart.  A true Drum Corps favorite of mine.

The young man that played the solo in 1979 was Rich Moss.  Excellent trombone player.  Was a student of a member of the CSO.  He played that solo so well on a 2v baritone that you almost thought he was playing a trombone.  It was honor to march with him in 1978.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

As I remember, a baritone player transcribed Bill Watrous’ solo in Tiger and played it almost note for note.

Now I see this was mentioned above.  Great minds...

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the pleasure of playing Tiger of San Pedro in Guardsmen 1979 and 1980 horn line. Tiger was funnest thing I ever played in drum corps or anywhere else. Crossmen did a great version of Tiger that same year. RIP Bill Watrous, and thanks for the great music. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1

I had the pleasure of seeing Bill play and meeting him in person about 14 years ago.  He was a truly stupendous player, and extremely gracious to a couple of high schoolers just excited to meet a jazz legend.

17 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

As I remember, a baritone player transcribed Bill Watrous’ solo in Tiger and played it almost note for note.

Now I see this was mentioned above.  Great minds...

He was truly great.  I have no idea where he ended up but I’ll wager he’s doing something special in music. 

Anyone else have a copy of "Jazz Styles & Analysis: Trombone" (1973) by David Baker? He transcribed 2 of Watrous' solos: "Manzanita" and "El Sombrero de Metal" -- both with Johnny Richards.  He played notes I could only dream about. "El Sombrero" STARTS on a double G!

RIP