Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

14 minutes ago, Kashi said:

They were already starting to show some wear at Grand Nats.  You could see that certain pixels of the screen weren't working.  Unless they were programmed to look like crap.  LOL

In laws had a new flat screen that had one pixel that was bad. Over the next couple of weeks more and  more pixels around that bad one failed. Looked like a freaking black hole sucking everything in.

So traded that for another one and exact same thing. The NEXT one had a good picture but sucked in a DVD and never let it go.

bro in law is a construction worker... “Hey want you to look at our new tv” points to the black hole getting bigger “check this #### out”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

46 minutes ago, Kashi said:

They were already starting to show some wear at Grand Nats.  You could see that certain pixels of the screen weren't working.  Unless they were programmed to look worn.  

Interesting- My guess is that as time goes on, the hardware/tech will improve/become more durable. Than again as Jim intimates, a lot of these companies crank them out and it's cheaper to just replace the bad ones and hope the next one works than just build them to a high quality level. My guess is that the ones Jim's Brother in law got were made of Chinesium. :huh:

• Like 1

Just now, BigW said:

Interesting- My guess is that as time goes on, the hardware/tech will improve/become more durable. Than again as Jim intimates, a lot of these companies crank them out and it's cheaper to just replace the bad ones and hope the next one works than just build them to a high quality level. My guess is that the ones Jim's Brother in law got were made of Chinesium. :huh:

Probably the low end from Best Buy (who?). 

Best Buy Where I got my first flat screen. When I pulled up to the loading area they gave me the wrong tv. Me “where the #### is the box”. Guy nearby “hey I think that’s mine”. No wonder they went under.

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Probably the low end from Best Buy (who?). 

Best Buy Where I got my first flat screen. When I pulled up to the loading area they gave me the wrong tv. Me “where the #### is the box”. Guy nearby “hey I think that’s mine”. No wonder they went under.

Here, the second one works fine. The first had some glitch and they gladly replaced it.

Oops I mean Circuit City not Best Buy.... Mechanicsburg store was Circuit City (gone) then HH Gregg (gone) now Ollie’s Good Stuff cheap (just bought tons of Toys R Us (going out) stuff to sell). Location is cursed or something. 

Ollies original owner had his fingers in everything. When a store had overstock or bankrupt he would buy it cheap and sell it. Store is like a warehouse with shelves and you never know what they will have. High point was Cabbage Patch Kid craze... store in Kentucky(?) had a fire and smoke was pumped into toy department. Ollie bought the dolls saying they were ok but cellophane was a little smoky smelling. But he had them and at a discount saying when stores open on a certain day the dolls would be there. Had 50 dolls each at 3 different stores and sold out in minutes. 

4 hours ago, Kashi said:

They were already starting to show some wear at Grand Nats.  You could see that certain pixels of the screen weren't working.  Unless they were programmed to look worn.  

Solution: Crank up the fundraising to as-yet-unheard-of levels, and buy new screens for each show. :laughing:

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ollies original owner had his fingers in everything. When a store had overstock or bankrupt he would buy it cheap and sell it. Store is like a warehouse with shelves and you never know what they will have. High point was Cabbage Patch Kid craze... store in Kentucky(?) had a fire and smoke was pumped into toy department. Ollie bought the dolls saying they were ok but cellophane was a little smoky smelling. But he had them and at a discount saying when stores open on a certain day the dolls would be there. Had 50 dolls each at 3 different stores and sold out in minutes. 

Reads like Ollies followed the business plan of Jerry Ellis of Building #19 fame.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_19

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Reads like Ollies followed the business plan of Jerry Ellis of Building #19 fame.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_19

Yep down to the laugh at yourself humor and caricatures of the owner.

And I actually saw a reference to a GEM (Govt Employee Merchandise) store.. that s a 50 + year memory.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Solution: Crank up the fundraising to as-yet-unheard-of levels, and buy new screens for each show. :laughing:

0ver 20 years ago one of the big PA BoA powerhouses was known to have an excess of a six figures a year band budget. With inflation that's likely to now be somewhere around a quarter to half a million a year.