Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Ollie's is still around even though Ollie himself passed away in 1996.

And his cartoon image is still on the walls and in the advertising lol. Favorite is him driving a tank as customers are part of “Ollie’s Army”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well I hope they were worth it, lowest placement at Nationals in a decade. Should probably spend that cash on making a show that isn't total cheese, even for a high school group.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, George Dixon said:

The Blue Springs MO band that bested some heavy favorites did a mash up show recognizable to many DCI fans as a visual combination of 93 Phantom Regiment and 2018 Cavaliers but a musical mashup more in the line of that 93 Regiment program combined with some later SCV programs. 

Metamorph props. Really impressed.

on another note, why so many big name staff congregate in "flyover country?" Other than the big school factor, but they are big schools everywhere.

2 hours ago, c.l. said:

On another note, why do so many big name staff congregate in "flyover country?" Other than the big school factor, but there are big schools everywhere.

Chicken and egg, maybe? Because bands from the middle of the country are likelier to travel to Grand Nationals, which is where you want your work to be seen?

7 hours ago, c.l. said:

Metamorph props. Really impressed.

on another note, why so many big name staff congregate in "flyover country?" Other than the big school factor, but they are big schools everywhere.

Not so sure they do, really.  But if you use BOA Grand Nationals as your gauge, it will seem that way because that event is located in "flyover country".  Bands from outside "flyover country" require additional days of missed classes just to travel to/from Indianapolis, a sacrifice few choose to make.

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Not so sure they do, really.  But if you use BOA Grand Nationals as your gauge, it will seem that way because that event is located in "flyover country".  Bands from outside "flyover country" require additional days of missed classes just to travel to/from Indianapolis, a sacrifice few choose to make.

I politely beg to differ in that “few choose to make” is a bit of an understatement IMHO.  You do get quite a bit of bands from outside the Midwest to attend Grand Nationals.  This year alone there are bands from Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Utah, Georgia, California, Florida, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Oregon.

21 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

I politely beg to differ in that “few choose to make” is a bit of an understatement IMHO.  You do get quite a bit of bands from outside the Midwest to attend Grand Nationals.  This year alone there are bands from Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Utah, Georgia, California, Florida, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Oregon.

I meant few from demonstrably outside "flyover country" (i.e. coastal states, Hawaii, etc.).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I meant few from demonstrably outside "flyover country" (i.e. coastal states, Hawaii, etc.).

Ah - got ya.  Yes, that is very true.  It’s not too often you get a California band for example (let alone a Hawaii band).  And there are some very good bands in California.

14 hours ago, c.l. said:

why so many big name staff congregate in "flyover country?" 

Maybe they prefer to teach students less likely to be inculcated with the kind of arrogance and pomposity that considers much of the country inferior, as humility is an important factor in developing the kind of work ethic necessary to actually achieve great things?

Edited by skevinp
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

true, but not all do it every year. texas was barely represented this year, but I would imagine the usual suspects will be there next year