“Failure to Protect”

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is a good point - unfortunately the only way to enter the legal system's offenders list is to, well, commit an offense.  Note the singular - one offence should be all it takes to get listed (one & done).  But, this still means that an offence leading to a conviction is committed against someone.  However, I don't think we should be putting individuals on a list just because they are "creepy" or make someone uncomfortable -IMHO there has to be a legal conviction.

Another thought - there should be some way for offender lists to cross State (or other jurisdictional) boundaries. If I go to my local Home Depot in Virginia, there warning label that says 'this product contains something State of California says can cause cancer'.  Under this paradigm a search would say 'This individual has been put on a sex offender list by the State of New Jersey' 

An FBI fingerprint background check should find that. I believe the PA Child Abuse check should also find those sorts of things as well, since you're required to list every place you've lived in and with whom over the last 25-30 years. There are checks that do this. One just has to find which ones they are.

As stated before, the problem is when schools just bury the issue, ask the perp to just get out and then do nothing and do not prosecute. Or in the case of this thread, the corps.

Edited by BigW

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

We should probably continue to do that where Jeff is concerned.  😄

It would be something of the nature of... "Hi Jeff, what's your name....What topic are you replying to and why.... How do you feel today? Is there anything that concerns you that we need to know about?" a whole freakin' lot from several of us. :whistle:

Edited by BigW
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Larson is an outlier. Yes a records check would have caught him, but until schools stop sweeping stuff under the rug, the legal systems stops allowing actions to be expunged, and most importantly people learn to stop ####### kids, background checks will never be enough 

I think the expunging stuff is the one that I find amazing, as in the case of Moody. In PA, your certification is gone for things like that, not suspended. Misconduct like that gets it yanked, not suspended here. While I think of it... you're implying when that suspension is done, that record of suspension is expunged? The question then becomes in the interview, "Well, why did you leave teaching for 5 years?" In Moody's case... I guess it would be they look at the resume and say "Wow! he had a gig with Crossmen!" Yoiks.

Edited by BigW

On 12/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, BigW said:

I'm thinking, there is a legal sticky wicket. Really, really sticky. The venue isn't a school venue, and he's not with a youth-affiliated group. Whether any of us like it or not- he likely has the right to do this, much like he'd have the right to perform in a jazz club with an adult-only band or combo.

Now, that being said, After being convicted of molesting a member of the Capitolaires as its director and effectively wrecking the corps, who would want him doing a corps affiliated gig with them? I personally wouldn't want that, but that's just me speaking for myself. That's an ethical and moral question, not a legal one.

Keep in mind I worked as a volunteer at the Camp Hill State prison in college and occasionally discuss these kinds of matters with a good friend who's a member of the Prison Society. While all of us want criminals to do their time/ serve their punishment/see justice done/want victims to be treated with fairness and serious consideration....there also needs to be lines of fairness as well for the convicted, and I'm discovering a crossing into a very gray area of it here.

Just noting in passing that this is timely subject, given the bipartisan criminal justice reform bill ("First Step Act") currently under consideration in D.C. Carry on.

51 minutes ago, skevinp said:

We should probably continue to do that where Jeff is concerned.  😄

oh i think after the third time, my coherence was very noticeable.

48 minutes ago, BigW said:

It would be something of the nature of... "Hi Jeff, what's your name....What topic are you replying to and why.... How do you feel today? Is there anything that concerns you that we need to know about?" a whole freakin' lot from several of us. :whistle:

standard response:

shut the #### up ########

😈

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just noting in passing that this is timely subject, given the bipartisan criminal justice reform bill ("First Step Act") currently under consideration in D.C. Carry on.

Yes. Some things I think have been over-punished, which this bill addresses. The kinds of crimes we're talking about here, I just keep coming to the conclusion they're under-punished if we need to have a special registered list for offenders like we desperately do need and have.

46 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think the expunging stuff is the one that I find amazing, as in the case of Moody. In PA, your certification is gone for things like that, not suspended. Misconduct like that gets it yanked, not suspended here. While I think of it... you're implying when that suspension is done, that record of suspension is expunged? The question then becomes in the interview, "Well, why did you leave teaching for 5 years?" In Moody's case... I guess it would be they look at the resume and say "Wow! he had a gig with Crossmen!" Yoiks.

well Atchison got his expunged by the courts, not the school system