“Failure to Protect”

36 minutes ago, Beren Erchamion said:

The idea is that they're better than nothing at protecting you from falling debris if you're far enough away from ground zero.

Studied some of this stuff in reading some chunky history texts on the subject. Until the H-Bomb and they began to make a lot of bombs, yeah, you stood some chance if you took certain precautions far enough away, and it wasn't all that far. Once the H-Bomb showed up an order of magnitude more powerful and a lot more of them... well that's when it all became pretty silly.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well Atchison got his expunged by the courts, not the school system

My guess is the murky nature of that whole thing led to some deal. Still, the basic question of "WTH are you doing with that camera!?" looms large.

to me, on some things, deals just shouldn't be allow. Sexual abuse/rape. Murder. Playing Malaguena. No deals should be cut for any of those offenses

1 hour ago, BigW said:

An FBI fingerprint background check should find that. 

How does one land on the national abusers list? If found guilty on the state level do the perp automatically get put on the federal list? Have a (not distant enough) relative hit with federal charges (think crap in the mail) so he’s on national list but not sure about if states share. 

So not sure if FBI fingerprint check would have a hit. Well they’ll find mine cuz of the job but....

1 hour ago, BigW said:

When I had my gall bladder removed, they kept asking me the same questions over and over in prep. The light bulb went on. I then asked them if they kept asking them to judge my mental state and see if I was coherent, aware, and not going crazy or panicing. I got a nod, grin and a 'yessssssss'..... Prolly what they were doing with you in part, thought I hear those stones are enough to drive you off the cliff. I feel bad you got 'em.

Did that with dad before kicking him out of hospital stay due to heat prostration. Dad was po’ed at the wait so got smart. When asked where was he they expected name of hospital. He replied “Park Sheeshleys farmland” and they about crapped. I had to say “dad if you want out don’t #### around. And the doc is too young to know who was the owner of the land the hospital is on”. Then it was name of hospital and room number... followed by can I leave now...

18 minutes ago, BigW said:

Studied some of this stuff in reading some chunky history texts on the subject. Until the H-Bomb and they began to make a lot of bombs, yeah, you stood some chance if you took certain precautions far enough away, and it wasn't all that far. Once the H-Bomb showed up an order of magnitude more powerful and a lot more of them... well that's when it all became pretty silly.

Even with more powerful bombs, unless they're infinitely powerful there's going to be an area of total devastation, an area that's effectively untouched (by the blast, at least...radiation is a different matter), and an area in between where the destruction declines on a gradient from total to imperceptible.  For more powerful weapons the fringe area may be pushed farther back, but still it's there--there's not a cutoff between "it's hopeless" and "nothing to worry about," that's just not how energy dissipation works.

• Thanks 1

12/19/2018 and Fred Morrison is still the executive director of the Crossmen drum and bugle corps. Morrison knowingly hired as a staff member a man he knew had been stripped of his teaching license in the state of Florida for sexting an underage student.  Making matters worse, Fred Morrison subsequently paid to try to erase the person’s paper trail. Is this the kind of person who should be an executive director of a drum and bugle corps today?  Yet he remains in place.

WHY?

Question #2:  Why has Dan Acheson failed to take definitive action against the Crossmen to get Fred Morrison removed, as he did with Cadets to get Hopkins removed?  Is Dan Acheson applying the rules equitably?  Is he playing favorites?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beren Erchamion said:

Even with more powerful bombs, unless they're infinitely powerful there's going to be an area of total devastation, an area that's effectively untouched (by the blast, at least...radiation is a different matter), and an area in between where the destruction declines on a gradient from total to imperceptible.  For more powerful weapons the fringe area may be pushed farther back, but still it's there--there's not a cutoff between "it's hopeless" and "nothing to worry about," that's just not how energy dissipation works.

Yes- but when one goes from 10-50 KT to typically 4-9 MT... there's a massive difference in radius, etc.

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How does one land on the national abusers list? If found guilty on the state level do the perp automatically get put on the federal list? Have a (not distant enough) relative hit with federal charges (think crap in the mail) so he’s on national list but not sure about if states share. 

So not sure if FBI fingerprint check would have a hit. Well they’ll find mine cuz of the job but....

I'm gonna do a test, Jim. I need to go to work but I'll find out.

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

I'm gonna do a test, Jim. I need to go to work but I'll find out.

Well don’t end up in jail doing your test lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1