In The News – Ex-Allentown Cadets Director George Hopkins Waives Hearing On Sexual Assault Charges

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only says he will not have a preliminary hearing. Does not affect the actual trial. 

Any of you legal eagles want to define what a preliminary hearing is actually for?

a preliminary hearing is meant to determine if there is enough reason or substantial evidence to allow the case to proceed to trial.

I think - waiving the hearing limits the amount of details brought out in court proceedings and exposure to public attention and opinion, and there could be a plea in the works.

2 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

a preliminary hearing is meant to determine if there is enough reason or substantial evidence to allow the case to proceed to trial.

I think - waiving the hearing limits the amount of details brought out in court proceedings and exposure to public attention and opinion, and there could be a plea in the works.

Forgot about the details brought out in preliminary hearing, good catch John. I only thought of no sense going thru effort of fighting if things should go to trial as everyone knows there will be a trial. That way GH lawyers can concentrate on trial

4 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

This makes sense.  If he gave something up, you have to think he got something in return.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

This makes sense.  If he gave something up, you have to think he got something in return.

Not sure what GH would have given up other than possible more dirty laundry airing in public. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure what GH would have given up other than possible more dirty laundry airing in public. 

You mean what the prosecutor would have given up I think?  Maybe severity of charges, narrowing of charges, or refraining from additional charges.  

Although his guilt seems clear to most of us, this may not be a slam dunk case for them, as the burden of proof in criminal cases can be quite high.

It may be civil suits, not criminal ones, that are ultimately his demise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You mean what the prosecutor would have given up I think?  Maybe severity of charges, narrowing of charges, or refraining from additional charges.  

Although his guilt seems clear to most of us, this may not be a slam dunk case for them, as the burden of proof in criminal cases can be quite high.

It may be civil suits, not criminal ones, that are ultimately his demise.

All I’m saying is I don’t think things look better (or worse) for GH just because GHs lawyers passed on the preliminary hearing. Living near state capitol got to follow a bunch of cases. Just don’t remember passing on this hearing was mentioned as a good or bad sign.

Just so everyone is clear, it is the defendant who waived preliminary hearing. Might have gotten on the wrong track with who “he”. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All I’m saying is I don’t think things look better (or worse) for GH just because GHs lawyers passed on the preliminary hearing. Living near state capitol got to follow a bunch of cases. Just don’t remember passing on this hearing was mentioned as a good or bad sign.

Just so everyone is clear, it is the defendant who waived preliminary hearing. Might have gotten on the wrong track with who “he”. 

Adding parentheses to prevent any further misunderstanding of what I said:

"Makes sense (what John said). If he (GH) gave something up (his right to a preliminary hearing) you have to think he (GH) got something in return (reduction of charge, limitation of scope, some procedural benefit, or possibly just saving precious money and time if there was little chance a preliminary hearing would prevent the case from going to trial)."

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Adding parentheses to prevent any further misunderstanding of what I said:

"Makes sense (what John said). If he (GH) gave something up (his right to a preliminary hearing) you have to think he (GH) got something in return (reduction of charge, limitation of scope, some procedural benefit, or possibly just saving precious money and time if there was little chance a preliminary hearing would prevent the case from going to trial)."

Ok we're on the same track....

Just have to wait longer to get the popcorn ready