In The News – Opinion: Drum Corps In Oregon And Across The Nation Must Be More Vigilant

37 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Interesting I know nothing about the VK situation....

From what I was told, following the 1996 season an audit request was made to the IRS against VK concerning classifying drum corps staff members as Contractors. The IRS apparently determined that the staff members were employees, rather than contractors, for a number of reasons including staff lack of independence in work scheduling and the use of organizational work materials instead of personally owned materials. The IRS also apparently determined that not only was the corps responsible for paying federal taxes and medicare costs for that year, but also for several previous years, plus penalties and interest for prior non-compliance.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

From what I was told, following the 1996 season an audit request was made to the IRS against VK concerning classifying drum corps staff members as Contractors. The IRS determined that the staff members were employees, rather than contractors, for a number of reasons including staff lack of independence in work scheduling and the use of organizational work materials instead of personally owned materials. The IRS determined that not only was the corps responsible for paying federal taxes and medicare costs for that year, but also for several previous years, plus penalties and interest for prior non-compliance. This decision brought about the immediate demise of the Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps.

That's VERY interesting. I wonder if it impacted other corps outside of quickly saying "Oops...I'm glad the IRS didn't audit US!" and changing their policies. 

50 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You know...that's a good question. I would think (danger Will Robinson....danger!!) that it would all depend on if "damage" could be categorically proven to be a direct result of that specific incident beyond a reasonable doubt, right? I think I've certainly heard of MANY more cases where an INDIVIDUALS reputation was damaged which could be far easier to prove. 

I don't have any legal knowledge. Yes it does work the other way most of the time. Don't know if they have legal standing or not but civil suits bear a less burden of proof. It would be nice if certain examples were set.

Edited by Bluzes
typo