A request to those involved with the Oregon Crusaders

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a few parents, relatives, and supporters of now-former members of the Oregon Crusaders. We are all relatively new to the Drum Corps experience, although our sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, and grandchildren have varying years with the activity.

I would like to start by saying that drum corps, and specifically the Oregon Crusaders organization, has been very good to our kids. We appreciate all those involved who have provided a positive and memorable experience for them -- one with fond memories we know they will always keep with them.

And for that, we sincerely thank you.

That being said, you can understand how deeply troubled we are of the recent news and allegations that have come out regarding the Crusaders.

I do not want to rehash what has already been reported and repeated, many times, in many other places. Suffice it to say, we have experienced a gamut of emotions in reaction to this: disbelief, disgust, anger, disappointment, sadness.

Regarding the latter, sadness, especially, for the members who were affected by this.

Even though our kids were not personally/directly affected, this still happened when they were with your corps. To those involved with the Crusaders, this occurred on your watch.

There is simply no excuse.

None.

But this is not what this request is about. We plan on contacting you personally regarding this situation, and do not wish to expand on this further, here.

Rather, our request is in regards to the sporadic hints, insinuations, and outright exclamations by the few Oregon Crusader supporters who have alluded to another side of "the story" that has yet to be told.

We have seen this here, on this forum, as well as on other channels that have talked about or reported on the Crusaders.

This is usually in the form of one or two commenters, amongst dozens or even hundreds from the opposing side.

To these one or two, we ask: please tell us more.

From you one or two, we have only received brief glimpses of the bigger story that you seemingly, sometimes desperately, want to tell.

A story about how "the opposition" has allegedly used a very bad situation to generate support for, and action towards, an entirely unrelated and (again, allegedly) nefarious agenda.

We all know the power -- for better or for worse -- of social media, and how Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and forums like these can "fan the flames" of a "just" cause, even if said cause may include some very small untruths, amongst an overwhelmingly glaring wrong.

Frankly, we do not discount what "the opposition" has been saying. We believe most of it. What happened was wrong, and for that, the Crusaders and all those associated with the organization has suffered.

Dearly.

But -- if what some of you supporters have been hinting at and alluding to are true, then "the opposition" has not been as forthcoming and blame-free as they claim to be.

And while this does not take away from the injustice that has occured, this does put "the opposition" in a different light.

And it does make us, and some of our kids, think twice about trusting those who (allegedly) may have said agenda in mind, when they tweet, post, and continue to be vocal against the Crusaders.

For they have been very vocal -- and very organized, and effective, whether intentionally or not -- in their approach.

While the Crusaders, and those supporting them, have not.

It is not even close, really.

We have read the organization's "official" statements and frankly, we know public relations spin when we see it.

The intentions may be genuine, and the words sincere but yet, there really has not been much coming from the organization to address this situation head-on.

(And we do not mean instituting changes required to better the safety and security of its members, and to improve the overall member experience as a whole. That goes without saying.)

We mean telling that "other side of the story," that the one or two supporters have mentioned, here and elsewhere.

If you truly are involved with the organization, and if you really do know more than what has been reported, then please -- for our sake, for the sake of those of us on the outside, who truly wish to understand what happened, please say more.

We understand wanting to take the high road. And of wanting to move on. And of legal repercussions. But there has just been so much from "the opposition," and so little from the Crusaders -- and those supporting them -- that frankly, you cannot blame us and others for coming to the same conclusion -- and assuming the worst.

But for you one or two, that have seemingly more to say ... if nothing else, you could help bring a little more clarity for us.

We were all supporters of the Oregon Crusaders and some of us still want to be, and are hoping the organization can make the changes it needs to and come back, better than ever one day.

But we will have to get past this, first. But based on what we know thus far, this will be extremely difficult to put behind us.

So please -- help.

Edited by Core Repsman
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Oregon Crusaders administration silence is not by choice.  It is obligatory, mandated by DCI media policy, and enforcable by arbitrary suspensions from the DCI CEO.  

Thank you for your reply, we appreciate it. We understand the restrictions that the OC administrative team and board of directors are under. At this point, we are hoping to hear from anyone involved with the organization, whether staff member, outside volunteer, or former member, who may have insight to the issues that some have brought up here and in other channels (as noted in my original post).Thank you again.

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Oregon Crusaders administration silence is not by choice.  It is obligatory, mandated by DCI media policy, and enforcable by arbitrary suspensions from the DCI CEO.  

I’m not sure how their silence would be a violation of the media policy unless they went on a rant about DCI investigating them for violations of member safety or questions about a wrong hiring decision. I would think the silence is due more to not wanting to admit they were wrong, did not believe marching members would not return, and didn’t correct things when they had the opportunity.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure how their silence would be a violation of the media policy unless they went on a rant about DCI investigating them for violations of member safety or questions about a wrong hiring decision. I would think the silence is due more to not wanting to admit they were wrong, did not believe marching members would not return, and didn’t correct things when they had the opportunity.  

Basically it's the old "say nothing before you make it worse for yourselves" approach

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

Or #### just might play out in court so silence on either side would be wise

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

They have admitted being wrong in press releases, more than once.

I think you are missing the point here.  What the OP is really inquiring about is this new revelation of a rumored power struggle within the corps administration.  Trying to provide an informative answer to that on social media would almost certainly violate policy in two ways:

- The same need to be "respectful, professional and courteous" that prohibits dissing another corps also prohibits dissing individuals.

- The policy also says "maintain the confidentiality and privacy of others".

Maybe someone from Oregon Crusaders would be willing to respond privately to such an inquiry.  Or maybe not, in this era when so many people are willing to leak private communications to the general public.  Certainly not in writing.  And definitely not in a public forum such as this.

(Also, whether you are right or wrong about what violates policy is irrelevant.  All that matters is whether the DCI CEO would deem it in violation.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

(Also, whether you are right or wrong about what violates policy is irrelevant.  All that matters is whether the DCI CEO would deem it in violation.)

And based on recent events, it now appears that, where DCI is concerned, common sense and common decency cannot be assumed in the rendering of such a determination.

• Like 2