The Marching Arts

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No idea what you are talking about.  Who back at inception (1919) denied that the separate classifications were based on instrumentation?

By the way, you are incorrect about the instrumentation.  At inception, drum corps were not required to have bugles.  Corps using fifes, bagpipes, bugles, or any combination of those, competed against each other.  Bugles were the most popular and competitively successful choice, though, to the point where the alternatives faded into near obscurity in comparison.  Still, the occasional fife & drum corps competed among drum & bugle corps as late as the 1960s.  Yikes - woodwinds in drum corps!

Must have heard USAF Bolling Field early 60s recordings with the bagpipes. Great corps and different with use of the pipes.

ok Marching Band refers to a group with woodwinds, etc that are usually connected to a school. It can also refer to different types of groups that move under their own power and play music (MB, DC, Mummers, pipers and Aunt Susies kazoo club). Why we are getting hung in wording is beyond me.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And for the horn players late 70s the valves started going upright. Before you could tell at a glance if a band or corps instrument or group. And nobody looked that close to see how many (upright) valves. So to the average person... band

Heck, Ginny Thornburg (Wife of the then PA Governor) called us a band to our faces circa 1981 when the majority of the hornline had Piston Rotor horns....

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Must have heard USAF Bolling Field early 60s recordings with the bagpipes. Great corps and different with use of the pipes.

ok Marching Band refers to a group with woodwinds, etc that are usually connected to a school. It can also refer to different types of groups that move under their own power and play music (MB, DC, Mummers, pipers and Aunt Susies kazoo club). Why we are getting hung in wording is beyond me.

Scout House has always used "Band" in their nomenclature, haven't they?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

here's maybe what you don't get from the older generations POV ( and I am not saying they are right, I just get it)

band and drum corps didn't have the inner connectedness it has today. both eyed each other derisively. in corps, it was a point of pirde to be better than band. band directors hated drum corps...."they aren't real musicians". It was until the 70's when competitive marching band started taking off that you saw the gap between the two start to shrink to where it is today. So to the older generations POV, band is a dirty word

Yes, it was extremely insulting to be called a "Band". Reference early post regarding Ginny Thornburg. We were VERY unamused at that. Some old clown started up with that at a Scranton DCA show about 5-6 years ago and I was within a hair's breadth of telling him to shut up before I started slapping him senseless

Edited by BigW

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

Scout House has always used "Band" in their nomenclature, haven't they?

Think it was a Canadian thing from reading History of Drum Corps. Not sure if being Bb in the Great White North had anything to do with it... eh

49 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No idea what you are talking about.  Who back at inception (1919) denied that the separate classifications were based on instrumentation?

By the way, you are incorrect about the instrumentation.  At inception, drum corps were not required to have bugles.  Corps using fifes, bagpipes, bugles, or any combination of those, competed against each other.  Bugles were the most popular and competitively successful choice, though, to the point where the alternatives faded into near obscurity in comparison.  Still, the occasional fife & drum corps competed among drum & bugle corps as late as the 1960s.  Yikes - woodwinds in drum corps!

So? Irrespectve of instrumentation, they were all, again 'all' groups of people with instruments (bands) which had performers in step in time (marching). Their sub designations may have varied, and some may have been vitriolic in denying this, but they 'all' were in fact (marching bands).

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

So? Irrespectve of instrumentation, they were all, again 'all' groups of people with instruments (bands) which had performers in step in time (marching). Their sub designations may have varied, and some may have been vitriolic in denying this, but they 'all' were in fact (marching bands).

And they each require several horseless carriages to travel to events.

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

Again mb can be an overall reference to a bunch of groups with different instrumentation (Drum Corps, mummers, oriental bands, etc). Or mb can refer specially to usually school groups with ww, electronics, etc. same term, different meanings...

most of are talking about the later definition....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Exactly so. Drum corps was a victim of its own success, so to speak. The band world became flooded with corps members who decided to major in music education in college. Corps-style band shows became far more prevalent through the 70's and beyond, as these folks hired corps-experienced staff people as designers and instructors. 

Judging associations saw drum corps declining, and they turned their focus to bands. In my area, for example, National Judges ran TOB early on and Metro All American where I judged started EMBA in the late 70's. It kept the judges working while local-style drum corps was declining. 

There were always many band kids who marched corps, at least in the NJ suburbs. The GSC corps I marched with in 68 and 69 had probably 45-50% of the 25+ horns/10+ drummers come from their local HS bands. My HS director hated drum corps, but he made us a deal. We would attend all fall HS band activities, and we could march with the corps for spring parades when there was a conflict. He also hated marching band, as he was a classical oboe player by background.

yup. NJA was formed in 59, but TOB came around in 73. Around here i think the first band circuit was Cavalcade, which formed in 60 I think, but didn't really take off until the 60's.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

More specific description of the elusive beast is "DCI business-trained executives".

I think I've seen, maybe, one of those in 45 years of participation.

Like our friend here, the cappybara is more-frequently sighted.

yeah given many of the things said about DCI's business practices, i'm not sure we'd call them trained LOL