The Last Don

I'm starting a new thread for tributes to the founders of DCI.

Don Warren of the Cavaliers

Bill Howard of the Madison Scouts

Dave Kampschroer of the Blue Stars

Gail Royer of the Santa Clara Vanguard

Jim Jones of the Troopers

In 1971, they formed the Combine West that became Drum Corps International the following year.  Please post memories of these fine gentlemen.

Edited by vferrera
spelling

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I met Don Warren back in the mid-seventies when he interviewed me, a young teacher who had written him a letter about my student moving from Long Island to Greater Chicago who was interested in joining the Cavaliers. At that time the Cavaliers did not yet have out of area members. Mr. Warren was quite thorough in his research, accepted the recommendations that I and another drum corps instructor (Joe Mason) wrote about the young man and welcomed him into the Green Machine. David Flynn went on to become a snare drummer, center snare, principal drum major, Board member, and an officer of the Board of Directors of the Cavaliers as well as proud father of Danny and Michael who also aged out as Cavaliers. David's sister MaryBeth married Cavaliers' contra player Scott Rhebergen; their son Andrew  went on to also become a Cavies' contra/tuba and the drum major who broad jumped the front ensemble to the podium the season that the Cavies played and conducted upside down. Scott also became a Cavie Board member and was DCI Volunteer of the Year in 2018.

This is but one aspect of Don's ability to imagine, assess, and prosper the talents, opportunities, and futures of others who shared his ideals of drum corps and The Cavaliers.

I marched with Scott before he went to Cavies.  

Also, didn’t Dave march in the Illini drumline, too? I think I remember that. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Seeing what xandandl posted, I would like to share a story.

When my older brother moved went to high school, I was just a random 7th grader that fell in love with music. When I went to my brothers first football game and watched his half time show, my mom asked me what I thought of marching. I smiled and said "it looks like fun". I remember watching the DCI finals highlights on ESPN and I thought how amazing this activity was! Then if we skip to my sophomore year in high school I began to explore deeper into marching, but it wasn't until my junior year that I just became a proud Cavies fan. Back when Myspace was a thing I had a friend request from Colt Foutz, the author of my favorite book, Building the Green Machine. I remember random conversations with him and gave him a quick background of what was then my young musical career and why I was a fan of The Cavaliers. Sure enough he said he would get Don Warren to sign my copy of the book and leave a note in there for me. Ya'll better BELIEVE I was extremely excited. I remember driving home from school after full orchestra rehearsal with a big grin on my face. I went into my room and saw the package on my bed and I did not hesitate to open it. The note Don Warren wrote was "Looking forward to seeing you in the green (the and green are underlined) Best wishes enjoy the book" then his signature. Now, I sadly was never able to march for personal reasons, but this book has stayed by my side as soon as I got it and I keep it right on my nightstand in my room. That quote is better than any award I have ever received. While I was never able to march, I hope that I might be able to teach/work with them someday. 

Sorry for the long post... I hope ya'll have a great evening!

You and @DrumManTx are too nice for this group.  🤗 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Never met Howard, Jones or GR. Met Dave at DCA prelims once, Steve Vickers introduced us. I met Warren in 2002 at the DCI Friends luncheon...in the bathroom. he turned, looked at me and said " this is how DCI started...in the bathroom". We all laughed.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes. Dave became section leader and later a long-time alumni/volunteer instructor. 

But back to Don Warren . . . a great man, and one-of-a-kind character, whose impact on thousands of lives can never be adequately summed up in words. He founded the Cavaliers when he was just 20 years old with a bunch of teenagers who couldn't play music, within nine years they were National Champs, and he stayed involved for over fifty more years. Amazing. If not for the vision and leadership of him and the Troopers' Jim Jones, DCI as we know it would not exist. Thank you, Don, and RIP. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I marched with Scott before he went to Cavies.  

yes, that's where he met his wife Sue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Never met Howard, Jones or GR. Mat Dave at DCA prelims once, Steve Vickers introduced us. I met Warren in 202 at the DCI Friends luncheon...in the bathroom. he turned, looked at me and said " this is how DCI started...in the bathroom". We all laughed.

Similar story here with Dave... Steve Vickers introduced us the year Dave was being inducted into the World Drum Corps of Hall of Fame. They both wanted to make sure I pronounced "Kampschroer" correctly when I introduced the inductees at DCA Finals. LOL. 

Met Gail Royer once at a USBands show (or USSBA, or whatever the name of the circuit was then...LOL). I was announcing, he was judging. What an honor to meet him!