What happened to Madison?

12 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don't think big government style oversight is needed. 

Maybe it's time for Madison and Rosemont to open up to female membership. I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians. 

male only isn't hurting Cavaliers. It's not a gender specific issue

12 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The Cavaliers are having no problems recruiting or being all male. The problems with Madison are all in house and how they've become a caricature of themselves. If they stay on the current path that they are on; they will become the next Pioneer within a few or five years. 

yup. those few down years were due a huge loss of staff that had a decade plus run at the top. it took a few years and tweaks to the team, and back in top 6 now, and honestly have their best show since 11 this year

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I am deep into the educational environment also. And I never said they were lazy; in fact many do work very hard. Many are vry intelligent.

But working for their own gain irrespective the impact on others, the it is about me not we success, look at my reaction videos, follow me on twitter. Not doing anything sacraficially for anyone besides themselves. That is what our culture has taught them instead of the aformentioned vertures in my other post.

Nope. Not in my view. No kids in organized group activities can possibly act that way, be it marching band, drum corps, team sports, theater, Model UN, etc....my local HS has a Junior ROTC program that teaches the kids exactly what you say is NOT happening. Of course, there are some who think as you say, but in my view that is not the norm. We'll just disagree on that, for sure! 

11 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

Well then maybe it's time to get some business minds working in the activity. 

And that statement is not entirely accurate. The vast majority of college athletic programs lose money. 

we are band to the world. and companies have shown they have no interest in band

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

aww gee here i paid thousands of dollars, and ya know what...this place isn't for me. Why the #### should I be forced to stay there when it was not the best situation for me?

They shouldn't. Ergo, your idea fails.

Duty, honor, commitment, covenant,  overcoming adversity, learning to deal with it instead of running away,.....my idea works out in the end.

9 hours ago, hostrauser said:

This thread is a gold mine of terrible opinions. Well above and beyond DCP's usual output. A trophy of shame to everyone who has participated here.

giphy.gif

wow i crap on stupidity and get told to be ashamed for doing so. I feel so flattered

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I did not see that in reading backwards through the posts. 

I did see this that you replied to a few pages back...which does not speak to any value judgements on right or wrong choices:

"Unnecessarily inflicting suffering on youth is not the kind of suffering I want youth experiencing.  I want youth to chose their own path.  Mandating that they cannot march where they want seems to be exactly that."

I misread this statement: "Unnecessarily inflicting suffering on youth is not the kind of suffering I want youth experiencing." Sorry. I actually agree with it.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Somewhere down the line, Instead of teacing many of our youth the nobilities of self sacrafice, honor, delayed gratification, patience, wisdom, consequence, vertue, convent, the true meaning of success, and holding them to that standard, our culture has allowed them to develop their own sense of narcissistic, twitter, Facebook,  Machiavellian, no consequence, immediate gratification no matter what perverted definition of success.

Those #### kids are funding your retirement, despite the fact that they themselves will most likely never collect a dime of their own contributions. You're welcome.

Then you come take a huge #### on them without understanding the way culture has evolved.

This is pretty much the textbook definition of boomer culture. It's gross and entitled. The world exists outside of cornball notions of "fairness" and "wisdom."

Let kids march wherever they want. It's ####### marching band. B A N D. 

• Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Within a body of competing teams, Free Agency, just like Free Market, should be balanced with reasonable team to team parity rules in order to keep one team, or one company, from overly dominating over all others. It is within that harmony where the true spirit of competitive growth arises. It also keeps a low financial area team competitive with a high financial area team like one from the silicon valley. So, here is my opinion on how the concept of Free Agency should be applied as an equitable system within DCI:

A) Youth who have never performed in DCI are free to audition for any corps prior to the begining of the season. Unrestricted Free Agency.

B) At the end of the season any youth who performed that year with an OC corps is free to audition for any WC corps. And any youth who performed with a WC corps is free to audition for any OC corps. Unrestricted Free Agency.

C) At the end of the season any youth who performed with an OC corps transfers to perform with another OC corps the very next season, or any youth who performed with a WC corps transfers to perform with another WC corps the very next season, the receiving corps of that transfer should pay the former corps some sort of fee transfer compensation. (Or the performer can set out a season and transfer without fee compensation). Restricted Free Agency.

This would make sure that organizations are detered from pilfering talent from other 'directly competitive organizations' within their division, and also make sure their own success is more self-built than from acquired talent developed from the labors of other organizations.

it'll kill the activity. forcing kids to not be able to go where they want to go. For someone who claims to have business sense, your proposals for the last however many years on this topic show zero of it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1