Why are you playing what you're playing?

Lynkin

Well I played Violin in third grade because that was the only thing I was allowed to play. then I played Clarinet from third grade through my junior year. I was so serious I was thinking of majoring in Clarinet. I must admit I loved brass and drum corps (as I was a long time marcher in the Summer youth Band ciruit that "opened" at durm corps shows). I switched to baritone at the beginning of my senior year because my ### of a director placed me at fourth chair. From there, I was in theCavaliers, Purdue Brass ensemble, Purdue Sound Machine, and currently play baritone with Renegades.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i guess i'm one of the rarieties. I've only played Trumpet since 4th grade. Starting learning it from my brother in 3rd grade. but then junior year of high school picked up Baritone/trombone. and played both in concert band and marching band and still did trumpet in Jazz band. And now i'm a music major on trumpet with a minor on trombone. I play soprano with the Marion Glory Cadets. But I wouldn't be opposed to marching a baritone/euph again someday. It was a fun horn, but i enjoy a challenge and trumpet/soprano does that for me, baritone never challenged me. Maybe becuase i had the fast reaction of a trumpet player, but everything i played was just easier on the horn with the bigger mouthpiece. Which is whyi play a 2D cup on my horns. Nice phat tone, i luv it.

I originally wanted to play saxophone, but was placed on trombone for which I was too short to play effectively. Took a lot of practice to really get things going. Once I got to Middle School, I received private lessons for trombone and euphonium.

As a kid being raised with grandparents, I was exposed to Lawrence Welk quite a bit. I always liked the look and sound of the trombones. The summer before 5th grade, my family took a cruise on the Mississippi River and there was a jazz band on the ship which we went and saw every night (I still have one of their records). I talked to the trombone player and he let me play his horn in between sets. When I got back, it was private lessons and band!

Since then, I've had to learn how to play all of the instruments mostly because I wanted to know about each one in order to teach it properly, but the love continues to be with trombone/baritone. I do prefer trombone.

This is WAY cool. Look at all the concert horn players posting on here! WOO HOO!!!!!!!

:D

-Terri

p.s. check out the thread i amde about groups u play in and stuff.....

This is WAY cool.  Look at all the concert horn players posting on here!  WOO HOO!!!!!!!  

:D

-Terri

p.s. check out the thread i amde about groups u play in and stuff.....

sure will!

what I'd LOVE to do is meet up the Sky mellos, seven Kiltie mellos and 16 RA mellos and we could all play something together in the parking lot at DCA.

Wouldn't that be way cool?

-Terri

[

what I'd LOVE to do is meet up the Sky mellos, seven Kiltie mellos and 16 RA mellos and we could all play something together in the parking lot at DCA.

-Terri

terri , , that would be way cool ... mayb ewe could work soemthing out where some of us get together and dca just to jam and have fun .... B)

Well, when I was in sixth grade, we all had to pick what instruments we wanted, and we got three choices. We had to write them down and turn them in. The next day, we found out what we got to play. My choices, in order, were:

1.Sax

2.F horn

3.trombone

I was so upset that I got "stuck" with my 3rd choice. Well, 13yrs later I couldn't be happier about being a 'bone player. I picked up baritone in Corps ( though I don't call myself a baritone player ) and have even had the opportunity to play bari in some community ensembles. But t-bone is where it's at for me.

[

-Terri

terri , , that would be way cool ... mayb ewe could work soemthing out where some of us get together and dca just to jam and have fun .... B)

There's lots of jammin' in the bus lot after finals. I'll talk to everybody. I see most of them this weekend!

-Terri